Lame hen - just hops around - advice? *Pic of hen*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FinsUp, Dec 1, 2010.

1. FinsUp

FinsUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    lake oswego flats
    I have a 8-9 month old Deleware (laying) that did something to her leg. Seems to be around the hock (knee). She has been limping for the last 3 weeks. Not really sure where I was to splint it, since I couldn't really tell where the injury was. I also don't know if it was from a bad jump or maybe a hawk attack (to wounds on her, so not sure - but there was one that tried to get her the day after I noticed her hopping - she was just a sitting duck in the yard).

She eats, drinks and lays (as best as they are now) fine. When we let them out to range, she hops around for a bit eating, then settles down for a spell. Sometimes she doesn't come out of the run. I think it tires her out. No one is picking on her.

Question: Any idea how long she will be favoring her leg? I know there are 1 legged chickens out there that are just fine. Considering for all other reasons she is very "chickeny" we plan on her living out her life as a hopper.

The only reason I guess that it is around the hock area is when she roosts, she doesn't always bend it under her body and sit on both feet - it just kind of jets out in front. When I was checking her out - that leg seemed floppy at that joint compared with the other (resistance when moved).

Could it be a sprain? Or popped out of joint? I checked for bummblefoot - the bottom looks just the same as the other - no swelling, scabs or discoloration.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Might not be a good idea to let her move around so much, if you had pictures would probably help, Most of the time rest and maybe soak her leg in epsom salt water might help.

3. FinsUp

May 10, 2010
    lake oswego flats
    I had her cooped up for over a week with no improvement, so I let her out. Am I doing more harm? I will try to get pics tomorrow. Her leg isn't hanging, she does hold it off the ground, but the feet look a bit limp.

4. aliprowl

aliprowl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2008
    Northern Westchester
    Flopping out is not good - do you mean jutting out the wrong way, like it is dislocated?? How can you be sure it isn't broken? I had a full grown hen who suddenly was sitting in middle of the yard and the rooster was standing over her, protecting her. I raced out there and took over; could not tell if it was a hawk, or the rooster inadvertently hurt her, or she did it to herself...but she could not walk on the leg at all. No sign of injury, maybe a bit swollen. I put her in the coop with food & water right smack under her beak - which she needed; could not walk. Checked on her often, but she barely moved for a day or two. I cordoned her off inside the coop with a baby gate so the others wouldn't bother her, and in a few days she was hopping around a bit. I did not let her out of the coop due to hawks, until she was well enough to keep up with the flock. Now she is 100% fine, so take heart. However, there was no "flopping" of her leg. Make sure she has food & water right next to her, like literally under her nose, and make sure the others aren't harassing her or forcing her up on that leg to get away. I think isolating her but in the coop, so she can stay with the flock and they can see her, is really helpful because then you don't have the reintegration issues (and mine get depressed when not with the flock.) if you can find someone who is a dr. or a vet who could tell you if the leg is broken, that would be key. Would be worth taking her to a vet if you have one, because if that leg is broken, then it's a whole different scenario. I personally would not splint something unless I was experienced at that - fear you can do more harm than good. The fact that she is no better after a week indicates that it might be more than a sprain though.

5. FinsUp

May 10, 2010
    lake oswego flats
    Ok, I took a couple of pics today of her standing around. See how she holds her right leg. When I said floppy, I was talking about how it moves when I move it - no resistance like her left leg. Sort of like when you wave your wrist like a rubber pencil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. FinsUp

May 10, 2010
    lake oswego flats
    I took a couple of pics of Lola to show how she is holding her leg - broken at the hock? or sprained?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by