20180324_175307.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180324_175304.jpg
    20180324_175304.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180324_175215.jpg
    20180324_175215.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 8
Has the weather been very , very cold there? Could some water have dripped on that foot and frozen the tissue? Is the other foot completely normal or is there maybe a tiny bit of welling there, too?

I recommend Epsom salt soaks twice a day for a few days. Plus one baby aspirin in the morning and one at night.

How is her behavior? Does she limp, favor the foot by keeping it pulled up to her belly? Does she peck at it. Does she roost or does she prefer to sleep in a nest or on the floor? Those are all signs it's giving her a lot of discomfort. You can give her 81 grain aspiring twice a day.

As @kumquat pointed out, there should be some sign of a wound that's causing this swelling. It should appear as a black scab. If you locate that, it would be bumblefoot, a staph infection. You need to treat it with surgery and possibly a strong oral antibiotic.

I'm sorry no one has responded. How did she hurt her foot, do you know? I'm not sure how to help, but I would suggest a baby aspirin or a low dose aspirin dissolved in water for pain.
Hoping someone else will chime in...

Anytime a chicken is sick they can benefit from extra heat - time in a warm space and/or with a heating pad could be good.

Have you throughly examined the foot for any scabs, punctures, etc... Don't forget between the toes.

Is her swollen foot feel hot compared to her healthy foot? It looks like there is some reddening which may indicate infection.

As a first step (other then moving her into a warm space), I would suggest soaking her foot in an epsom salt bath - this should help to relieve some of the inflammation and may make it easier to ID the source of the problem.

I'll call some more experienced chicken peps to see if they can help you narrow down the cause of your hen's foot trouble. Ideas @Wyorp Rock, @oldhenlikesdogs, @azygous , @Eggcessive, @aart,

I'm sorry no one has responded. How did she hurt her foot, do you know? I'm not sure how to help, but I would suggest a baby aspirin or a low dose aspirin dissolved in water for pain.
Hoping someone else will chime in...
I don't know what she did but I will try the baby asprin thank you

Anytime a chicken is sick they can benefit from extra heat - time in a warm space and/or with a heating pad could be good.

Have you throughly examined the foot for any scabs, punctures, etc... Don't forget between the toes.

Is her swollen foot feel hot compared to her healthy foot? It looks like there is some reddening which may indicate infection.

As a first step (other then moving her into a warm space), I would suggest soaking her foot in an epsom salt bath - this should help to relieve some of the inflammation and may make it easier to ID the source of the problem.

I'll call some more experienced chicken peps to see if they can help you narrow down the cause of your hen's foot trouble. Ideas @Wyorp Rock, @oldhenlikesdogs, @azygous , @Eggcessive, @aart,
Thank you she is limping but she isn't pecking at it

Thank you guys she is lumping on it I checked her over 5 times and couldn't find anything. She is eating and drinking and all she wants to do lay down.

Back
Top Bottom