Lame hen

Thatchickenkid

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2020
Just recently I noticed one of my girls was falling asleep, shes pretty lethargic but still has an appetite, I know shes picked on so I keep a close eye on her, I'm not sure what her droppings are like yet either. I also noticed, after id picked her up and had her in my lap she was still falling asleep, but not regular head droop, closing eyes type of thing, she kept pulling her head and neck back and shaking her head slightly. I'm not sure if that means anything or if it's just a way shes adjusting? her comb color is good, its still bright red. I'm not really sure what to do, I've given her eggs to try to give her a boost but I don't think it did much.. any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to BYC. How old is she? How does her crop in her upper right chest feel now, and check it again first thing in the morning. Is she separated, so that you can see how much she is eating and drinking, and watch her droppings? A wire dog crate works well for that. I would offer some wet chick feed and mix a little egg or canned cat food for flavor. Do you have any Poultry NutriDrench or chick vitamins?

She's almost 3 years old, her crop is a little full and slightly hard, at the moment she isn't separated but I can separate her if need be. I'll make sure to get egg to her, unfortunately, I don't have nutridrench or chick vitamins atm. I'll keep an eye on her and make sure she eats and drinks well

I would feel of her crop again first thing in the morning, to make sure the crop has emptied. If it hasn’t she might be showing signs of an impacted crop.

I would feel of her crop again first thing in the morning, to make sure the crop has emptied. If it hasn’t she might be showing signs of an impacted crop.
I felt her crop early this morning, it emptied fine. shes still eating and drinking well, not sure what to do for now

Back
Top Bottom