1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We have a Mille Fleur hen who is very big and fat. Last year she started limping and it became progressively worse. We confined her in a small pen for a while and she got better; then she got mixed up in a fight between other hens about two months ago, and she got knocked down and started limping again. This time she is not getting better; we have been letting her out a few hours each day hoping the leg might just be stiff and weak and that it would improve with a little excercise. Problem seems to be in her hip really more than her leg, but we're not sure; maybe a torn ligament? She seems cheerful and healthy otherwise, and is eating well, as always. What can we do?

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
  3. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    That's interesting as my son said when she had it before he began giving all the hens oyster shell as some of the hens had soft shelled eggs; he remembers that the problem seemed to go away when he gave her the oyster shell for a while. She doesn't lay much, if at all. Will see if we can find some ot that supplement stuff. Thank you!

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    There is also a very good COMPLETE supplement formulated to the NRC minimum requirements called Avia Charge 2000 and you can order it from McMurry or Strombergs...this would be a good addition to the product you saw above.

5. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Quote:I had one young chicken that had a slight leg injury and I believe the oyster shell we fed her helped. Today you would never know she had a limp at one time.

6. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    This past spring our Wellsummer injured one leg and the other foot coming down the ramp (She is a spaz) The leg was bent in the middle so I am pretty sure she broke it. I couldn't figure out what to do with the "toe" but I splinted her leg with two flat toothpicks and some coban and she started to walk on it immediately. We took the bandage off after 5 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by