Lame Hen

buckrut

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
New Kent County, Va.
Came home from work to find a Buff limping real bad and she won't even try to put her foot down. Once I got her seperated in a rabbit cage she has both legs stretched out behind her and won't attempt to use either one. I can't ell if it is her legs or feet. I don't see anything visably wrong with her. She is 6 months. Any thoughts? thank you

I don't have any guesses as to what this might be, but I do want to say welcome to BYC. I hope you get some answers soon, and good luck with your hen
smile.png

Check her for eggbound. Search on here, on BYC "Eggbound". Also, it may be that she has parasites or worms. Have you checked her poop, checked her vent? Even if you don't see worms, she could have worms. Search here on BYC... "worming with Valbazen", "Worming"... "Eggbound", etc. Worms can cause limping and leg weakness. Also search Paralysis... that may be another problem. I read where some hens have been treated successfully with a lot of TLC.. being brought in, hand fed, etc. Sometimes they eat a slug or something they shouldn't and they can get past it with some TLC, scrambled eggs and yogurt, antibiotics, vitamin water, etc.
Warm massaging eggbound soaks... in the house. And, keep her warm, inside.

At six months it could be a laying problem, egg stuck, broken inside her, etc... poisoning inside from a broken egg inside her... Search these things here on BYC for more info.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom