Lame hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by paddyg84, Feb 4, 2014.

1. paddyg84

paddyg84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Have a wellsummer pullet that I just found lying on her front with wings slightly out and legs lying behind her. I went over and normally she would run a mile but she tried moving and couldn't. I've yet to be able to handle her calmly but when I lifted her she didn't struggle one bit. Put her safely in the coop and ten mins later I looked in and she was able to stand but unable to get on the roost. I put her on the roost and next time I checked she was sitting on the floor again. Anyone any ideas what might be wrong?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  3. paddyg84

Mar 5, 2013
    Thanks, read through those sites and so far the only symptom I have noticed in her is the paralysis/weakness in her legs and wings. She was able to get out of the coop this morning but she still doesn't seem right. I couldn't see much on treatments for it. Would you know of any? Thanks for the info

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    It does sound like it could be mareks. Sadly if it is Mareks their is no cure. Was she vaccinated for mareks disease?

5. paddyg84

Mar 5, 2013
    I don't think she was vaccinated. Is it likely to be fatal? I have done some reading and it doesn't look good. Have 8 in total and would hate to see them go. Wouldn't have the heart to cull them either

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by