Lame Lacy Wyndotte

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stearnj, Dec 11, 2016.

1. stearnj

stearnj Just Hatched

Dec 11, 2016
    My 14 month old lacy wyndotte, Esmerelda, has gone lame. I noticed Tuesday she was sitting in an unusual area beneath the coop. The next day she was outside the coop but just sitting in a corner. On approach she was struggling to use her left leg at all. I cannot feel any breaks, cannot see any sign of bumblefoot. She has no grip at all in the foot and seems unable to use it. I have given her half an aspirin dissolved to try and manage pain twice daily. I have separated her. She is just sitting in the shaded area provided and not moving hardly at all. She discharged the remains of an egg on Thursday amid greeny coloured poop (?) She is otherwise bright and alert. She was eating until Saturday but now not eating much. I am giving her water by syringe into her mouth as she is not taking it herself. I gave her a bath Sunday in warm water and cleaned her up. Any other suggestions on what I could do? I don't know what she did to herself. We have a slatted area for the coop which makes it easier to clean the mess and waterblast the area. She might have got a leg down a slat and panicked - but she has lived there happily for over a year. Any help/suggestions welcomed.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.

Any swelling of the abdomen - does she feel bloated?

She could have some type of internal laying/reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, tumors or cancer. Peritonitis is fairly common in laying hens, some symptoms are loose dropping, no appetite, loss of weight. Sometimes swelling from egg matter or fluid in the abdomen can cause lameness/trouble walking and labored breathing. Supportive care of keeping her hydrated, offering extra vitamins and encouraging her to eat is sometimes the best you can do. Antibiotic treatment is usually not that successful.

Green poop can be an indication of infection or not absorbing nutrition. Since she discharged the remains of an egg, she could have an infection of the oviduct. If you have a vet, that would be best.

You can try soaking her in a warm bath of epsom salts to see if this will give her any relief.

3. stearnj

stearnj Just Hatched

Dec 11, 2016
    Thanks so much ... continuing with hydration and tempting her to eat. Will try the bath. I can feel her breastbone and she doesn't seem bloated. She did seem perkier for a bit yesterday and I think the aspirin is giving her some pain relief. I got her interested in bread as she is not eating her regular feed and put that into her water which she took, and that got some water in too and she drank some. Will continue syringing water to keep her hydrated and just see how she goes. Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by