Lame legged chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FluffyChickenMama, Jul 7, 2007.

1. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    Yesterday I received a new order of baby chicks.. Thats always so exciting.. like Christmas.. but anyway.. I opened the box and had to inspect each one top to toe.. and I found that one of my SL Wyandotte males has a bad leg.. on the one side the leg sticks nearly straight out to the side.. it doesnt seem to bother it.. I have felt over every inch of the leg and it dont seem to mind.. it does walk but has a bit harder of a time ... it eats and drinks.. other than the leg it seems fine.. I called the hatchery and they just said that it probably got stepped on in route.. but couldnt tell me anything to do for it.. I was hoping someone here would know something I could do... Thanks for any info...

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    The hatchery people must get callous to this stuff. When i called them to ask about my deformed chick (i hatched it and it had a huge tumor-like growth on its head) they asked if it looked like a big blister? Oh we just dispose of them........(like they are not real). I think they are so used to 'disposing' of the imperfect ones, that they have to condition themselves or it would make them crazy. I cannot imagine working in a hatchery. I bet there are so many with little problems that get disposed of. He acted like i was weird for not killing my misfit bird. I hope it works out for your new baby. That is why they toss in an extra or two.....mine just arrived saturday morning too and they were ok, but one had a very tiny blood spot on its beak close to the face. I'm sure it'll be ok but i bet its a shipping injury.

3. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    sounds like "splayed leg" to me. they can get it from being stepped on, piled on, walking on slippery surfaces, etc. the best treatment I've heard of is to use a bandaid to tape the legs togother in the correct position (correct position appart). it should recover in a few days with the splint on.
    You should also keep it (with a friend) seperate from the rest so it gets a chance to rest and recouperate

4. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    Who did you order them from?

jackie

5. FluffyChickenMama

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    I got thic bunch from Welp Hatchery.. all the rest of them are lively and just great.. cant hardly keep em from jumping out of the box when I took the lid off.. The lady at the hatchery (when she found out it was a rooster) she said .. " well thats why we put extras in there and I dont know what to tell you" .. I told her I wasnt looking for a refund.. I just wanted to fix my chicken.. and besides that the one thats hurt is not the same as the extras.. when I feel of its "hip" it feels alot lower than the other side.. meaning the bone feels lower.. like its out of socket or something.. but it doesnt seem to be in pain.. I will try to bandage it up though.. and see if that works.. Thanks..

6. JFL1950

JFL1950 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2007
    Jacksonville, Texas
    two weeks ago we had one hatch the last one and it had a bad leg like you said. then a week later and you could not tell it was bad.
    It might have been a pinch nerve or something but all is well.
    But we did lose two that looked fine. one was breathing hard inside the other just died.
    Strange how some die and others don't.

7. FluffyChickenMama

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    I really hope it heals up... I tried splinting it up like was suggested but I just couldnt figure out a way to get it where it should be.. So i brought it and a buddy in the house.. the buddy dont seem to happy about it.. its yelling its little head off...

8. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
  9. FluffyChickenMama

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    Quote:thats pretty much what it looks like except its only one leg.. but thanks so much I will put that on right now..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by