1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lame little hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Goatpants, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Goatpants

Goatpants Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2016
    Oregon
    Hello,
    I am a new chicken owner. Just for eggs and inadvertently pets. We got 6 chicks and one is a rooster now. They aren't yet 18 weeks. One of our RIR's has become almost completely lame in both legs. It started with just one foot and now the other. I don't believe it is a disease by the looks of her. She eats and drinks and tries to do normal hen stuff. Her feet just won't work they curl up under her and she trips on them. I had to carry her into the coop last night. The rooster has started picking on her too because she can't get away. I had already decided we needed to put her down as humanely as possible...but I am the type that has to put spiders outside because I don't like killing them. This is hard. Any thoughts...advice? It is almost like she has a spine injury...but I honestly don't know if they get those.

Thank you!

2. Goatpants

Jun 14, 2016
    Oregon
    [​IMG]

3. Woobsie

Woobsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Was she vaccinated for Mareks as day old chicks?

1 person likes this.
  4. BabyandCotton

BabyandCotton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    This has actually happened to me with a Hatchery RIR. I gave ours fresh goats milk every day and in three days she was walking again.

1 person likes this.
  5. BabyandCotton

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    Give her goats milk and cold water, and feed her plenty of bone strengthing veggies like carrots brocoli collards etc. Keep her separate in a small covered cage, so she feels safe.

1 person likes this.
  6. Goatpants

Jun 14, 2016
    Oregon
    [​IMG]

7. HelloChickies

HelloChickies Out Of The Brooder

Keep us updated on how she is doing!
    Definitely put her in her in a separate cage to protect her from the rooster, with her own food and water. I'm interested to know if the goats milk helps her! Poor thing. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Goatpants

Jun 14, 2016
    Oregon
    I'm trying to share a picture, but until then...this is something she can recover from? This is hopeful!

9. BabyandCotton

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    My RIR did and she is doing great!
    Just, again, make sure she has a covered space, and have a dish of water and a dish of goats inside, and outside. Don't hold her either, and keep her dishes full. I hope she gets better!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. BabyandCotton

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    When my girl got it, I thought Marek's,but then I decided that she had jumped from the roosting pole and hit her feet, damaging her spine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by