Lame Pekin Hen - Advice needed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by poultrypalooza, Aug 2, 2014.

1. poultrypalooza

poultrypalooza Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2014
    I have a question about one of my ducks. The duck in question is the Pekin that is smack dab in the middle of all the other Pekins, directly facing the camera. If you look closely at her legs you will notice that her left leg is extremely bowed and her foot is very pigeon-toed. She has not always been this way. I just noticed it a couple of weeks ago. She is only 2 years old. In all other ways she is completely normal. She continues to eat and drink and lay eggs. She does not seem to be in any pain. She is, however, very clumsy and cannot run very quickly at all. The only thing that I can think happened to her is that earlier this spring I had a Pekin drake. He was a very large drake and very amorous. He was also very rough with the hens. So, I got rid of him. I think maybe he hurt her? As soon as I noticed her leg I started adding Brewer's Yeast to their food. I also read that Pekins are prone to leg problems. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with her leg, and if so, what, if anything, I can do to help her?

[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She may have been injured. The brewer's yeast may help a little, but I would be thinking in terms of therapy and perhaps a brace.

The therapy is simple - get her floating on water as much as possible. Lukewarm water as much as possible. Keeping her weight off the leg, letting her move it, should increase circulation, strengthen muscles.

poultrypedia has a page on poultry podiatry that might give you some good ideas.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by