Lame pullet getting worse

TheBajan

Songster
Mar 18, 2018
Davisburg, Michigan
I have a 14 week old Bielefelder pullet who started limping last Thursday. We separated her that evening and have kept her separate since then. She eats and drinks but is barely walking. I have to put her next to the food and water if she stumbles too far away from it. We have been able to inspect her leg and it's not broken or even swollen. No mites, lice, or any other obvious issues. She's one of our larger pullets. I am at a loss as to how to help her. I thought she would begin to improve but instead she is steadily declining. She came to us from Greenfire Farms and was vaccinated for Mereks at the hatchery. Thought? Suggestions?

Bear1978

Songster
Jun 16, 2020
Arkansas
Maybe she’s stepped on something and injured the bottom of her foot? Or she got a splinter in it that is causing her to limp?

TheBajan

Songster
Mar 18, 2018
Davisburg, Michigan
Maybe she’s stepped on something and injured the bottom of her foot? Or she got a splinter in it that is causing her to limp?
Nothing we can see. Her feet aren't swollen. Even the bottom of her feet look fine. It's just one leg (the right leg) that seems to be causing her trouble. When she tries to stand it begins shaking and appears to cause her pain because she doesn't want to put weight on it. However, when we pick her up and examine it, she doesn't seem to mind. I have no idea how chickens express pain but if we are hurting her, she's not letting me know.

Top Bottom