Lame question about ordering chicks....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chilisweet, Aug 6, 2008.

1. chilisweet

chilisweet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    So I'm at Ideal Hatchery and I want chicks, not eggs. I'm having a hard time figuring out what exactly I am getting (not meaning the breed). Anyone familiar with Ideal want to help me out?

I want the Wyndotte assorted package (lol).

Thanks,
    ~Caran

2. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Assorted will give you whatever colors they have left. If you want certain colors, order them by color.

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Have you ever had Wyandottes? Mine are kinda noisy and stand offish and a pain in the butt to get back in the coop, but that's just me.

I'm not sure what the question is, what do you what are you getting?

4. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Oh yeah Fullhouse is right, the fill the orders they have then whatever over hatch from what was expected is what you will get.

5. chilisweet

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Thanks for the info about leftovers...I hadn't thought about that.

But what I meant was, I can't tell if I'm ordering eggs or chicks....The link I clicked was on Hatching Eggs, so I'm assuming I'm getting eggs, but then there is no other option to order chicks. Arggg websites frustrate me!!

~Caran

6. chilisweet

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    My husband is obsessed with wyndottes because of their coloring. He's a wildlife/bird photographer and he sees everything from that point of view. I can just see it now, we will replace our wild bird pictures in our house with wyndotte pictures! [​IMG]

Also, from what we've read, they are good egg layers, and are mellow birds that can withstand a cold winter. Thats what we need.

~Caran

7. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    I love my wyandotte's and they put themselves to bed every night. I just come along and close the door. I prefer their rose comb to the big single combs, especially since it is so cold here.

I checked out Ideal, click on Standard Poultry, then click on assortments of standard chickens, then scroll down to Wyandotte assortments. You have a choice of st. run, pullets or cockerals. Hope that helps! [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  9. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I think Wyandottes are beautiful, but I'm just not having much luck with them. I might have gotten a few bad ones. They are fragile I've lost 2 of them and they are the only ones of my orginal girls I've lost. The other girls pick on them terrible, they have totally bare backs. I've moved the offenders, but still not growing their feathers back yet. The whole experience has really ruined me for Wyandottes. Oh, and one of them almost never lays. [​IMG] Having said that, I still want some blue laced reds. [​IMG] Yes, just because they are beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by