Lame right leg, 4 week duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by raindrop, May 3, 2008.

1. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    One of my little hookbills can hardly walk today, just scooting his/herself along the ground. Great appetite, talkative. Was fine last night when I walked them back to the house after a day outside in their outdoor run and in the brooder before lights out. I am worried one of the relatively gargantuan Pilgrim goslings stepped on it.

Seems the same tonight as this am. Spent the day inside in the brooder with one buddy. I don't feel any obvious break or dislocation, but it doesn't like the leg messed with.
    I have put it in its own little clear plastic small bin in the brooder, added vitamins/electrolytes to water, put food, grass and water in easy reach. I added some brewer's yeast to the food (mixture of Flock Raiser and the local mill's 17% protein food, transitioning to lower protein for all of them). I gave meloxicam (NSAID) orally at recommended waterfowl dose a little over an hour ago after I got home from work.

Anyone think of anything else to do?
    Anyone have anything similar happen and what was the outcome?

Thanks.

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Sounds like a sore leg.

Not sure what the meloxicam (NSAID) is, but if it is an antiinflammatory I would say it was fine. If an antibiotic, I would discontinue it.

Everything ealse sounds just right. Good job!

3. raindrop

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    It's an anti-inflammatory.
    How long do you think it might take to get better?

4. raindrop

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Little duck is still the same today. Eating well, chirpy and social, just not using the leg at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by