Lame rooster with a black toenail.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KimbACO, Nov 11, 2016.

1. KimbACO

KimbACO New Egg

Jan 26, 2014
    Starkville, MS
    At first I thought it was bumblefoot but I can't find a black spot. Only a black toenail. The bottom of his foot is swollen, and has heat in it. He's been lame for over a week. He's eating good. Can mites cause this? Is there a way I can tell if his toe is broken? I'd so, if it is how would I fix it?
    Any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated.[​IMG][/IMG]
    Two pictures [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] It appears as if you have recently removed his spurs. Did the problem start after this procedure ?

3. KimbACO

KimbACO New Egg

Jan 26, 2014
    Starkville, MS
    No. he started limping two weeks ago and I never could see any kind of injury. When he started having a hard time standing I separated him from the others. His spurs were so long that they would trip him! Didn't know I was suppose to remove them. I thought maybe the spur was causing the problem but I don't think so.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Whether it happened inadvertently or not, the spur sheath on the leg shown has been removed. This may very well have caused the inflammation that is evident in his lower leg and foot. The broken toenail may also have added to the inflammation.

5. KimbACO

KimbACO New Egg

Jan 26, 2014
    Starkville, MS
    We removed the spur tonight. But the swelling was already there. It started with a black toenail and a swollen toe two weeks ago. Now the swelling is worse and toenail still black.
    What can I do for him? I know he hurts. He uses his wings to keep his balance. I've been soaking it in Epsom salt and spraying an antibiotic spray on it.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Welcome to BYC! Can you take him to a vet?

-Kathy

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Looks like the toenail broke and maybe the toe got infected?

-Kathy

8. KimbACO

KimbACO New Egg

Jan 26, 2014
    Starkville, MS
    I haven't been able to find a vet that deals with avian. But I agree with you. It all started with one toe. Swollen and a black nail.
    I'm thinking about trying to pull the nail out and soaking in epsom salt. Then applying antibiotics to it.
    If I don't do something he will die. He's in a lot of pain.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

It's so swollen I fear that the joints and/or bone might be infected, and for that you will need antibiotics that can treat bone infections. FWIW, in the future you might not want to remove the spurs like you did, but just trim them back instead. I'm way too paranoid about bacteria, so that's one of the reasons I trim instead.

-Kathy

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by