1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lame rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by madison123, Oct 4, 2011.

1. madison123

madison123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    My rooster Bruce has a swollen foot, how can I help him? [​IMG]

2. flashover1969

flashover1969 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    A High res detailed pic would be very helpful. [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Look on the bottom of his foot and if you see a dark in color round scab, it's bumblefoot. Then type "bumblefoot" in the BYC search box and read up on it.

4. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    a picture would really help..he might be injured in a joint, might be bumble foot, and didnt know if you knew this or not, but chickens can get gout just like people..so if your feeding scraps with lot of purines , could be any number of things.

5. madison123

Aug 15, 2011
    [​IMG]

6. madison123

Aug 15, 2011
    here's a video of him walking. [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:There isnt any bumblefoot in the photo, nor swelling/redness that I can see. I watched the video several times and noticed that his spurs are impeding his walking ability, they need to be removed. His limping definitely stands out and I believe it's due to a either a sprain or pulled ligament/tendon. I recommend that you put him in a cage for rest and relaxation giving time for the injury to heal. Walking around on an injured leg could possibly make it worse, especially if he's chasing hens, digging through leaves and dirt etc...Provide him feed and water while caged. You can purchase vitamin B complex tablets at a pharmacy. Crush a few of them into powder and sprinkle it in his feed. They might help speed up the healing process. Keep him caged for about a week then release him and see if it's healed. Return him to the cage if it hasnt and continue rest and relaxation for another 5-7 days. Leg injuries take time to heal...a week, a month, several months or never. My experience has been that roosters are difficult to treat leg injuries as far as rest and relaxation goes because they are always active and wanting to be around their hens. Hens for the most part, are adaptable being caged and love the R&R with treats and heal quicker, some even lay eggs while caged.
    I recommend that you lower roosts inside their house and eliminate high places that they can jump down from so there wont be anymore injuries.

8. madison123

Aug 15, 2011
    thank you soooooo much!!![​IMG]

9. madison123

Aug 15, 2011
    thanks for your help but he died[​IMG]

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am so sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by