lame roosters

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by skycrow10, Sep 22, 2016.

1. skycrow10

skycrow10 New Egg

Sep 22, 2016
    have a year old black orpington rooster that has developed large legs and sore joints no longer roosts,have a 5 month old son of his that has same symptoms in one leg and also now sleeps on floor. wonder if anything I can do for them . some days get along normally but other days do not move as well and older rooster sometimes falls over and strugles to get up

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry to hear of the rooster problem...I wonder if it's heredity since the same is showing up in the son too? Might not want to breed them to prevent passing along the issue, IF that's what it is. CTKen has given you a good link to get more info.

Good luck to you, thanks for joining us!

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

x2 on the above advice.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe he needs some anti-inflammatory meds from a vet. He shouldn't be bred, nor his son. But it may make them more comfortable and give them some quality of life.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, sky row, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! I think you've been given some great advice above. Hope your lame rooster is on the mend soon! :)

8. skycrow10

skycrow10 New Egg

Sep 22, 2016
    I have put the two roosters in pen by themselves and have started carprofen, not sure of dosage but crushed a 100 ml tablet and mixed with chopped hard boiled eggs and tomato, they had been getting layer pellets and scratch as were with hens. have changed feed to just scratch will continue eggs and garden produce Don't see any injuries to legs and no signs of bumble foot. whatever it is think heredity is good guess. will start vitamin mix in water tomorrow and see how it goes
    Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
    Thanks for helpful answers

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens! I am pleased you decided to join us here today, it looks like you have gotten good advice, so I will just say hello and good luck with your ventures on Backyard chickens!

10. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Definitely do not switch them to full scratch... scratch is basically candy and that is the last thing they need when they are already having other issues. If anything I'd suggest putting them on a grower ration and cutting out most treats from their diet. The extra protein certainly won't hurt (may even help their muscles strengthen) and the lower calcium will take some pressure off their kidneys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by