lame silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tnredhead17, Feb 24, 2012.

1. tnredhead17

tnredhead17 New Egg

Oct 30, 2011
    My white silkie pullet, age 6 months, has become limp in one leg, When sitting, the leg lays in front, and she seems to rest on her upper leg. When moving about, the foot drags behind her. We live in east TN, and have had a wet but mild winter. She has a warm dry coop and covered run, but is free to roam in a protected wooded area as well. She does get wet and muddy sometimes, and but seems not to care, as she is free to come in when she wants. Her feet were very dirty when I noticed the problem.

Upon examination, the foot seems a bit swollen but not tender. The leg seems nontender. Th skin appears normal to me, without scaling, blisters or odors.

I have brought her inside, given her a thorough bath and dried her well. She seems active though not walking, and does want to eat.

Does this seems like bumble foot, an injury, a tendon problem, or something else? Do any of you have suggestions as how to best treat it? I do have Duramycin for oral use that I could give her.

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I would give her poly vi sol, without iron, .5ml per day. Also, I would give her 400 ius of Vitamin E twice per day. It doesn't sound like bumblefoot as you would see some kind of injury spot on her foot. I hope this vitamin regimen helps and she improves. It probably wouldn't hurt to use the duramycin just in case there isn't some kind of infection causing the problem. Keep us updated!

3. tnredhead17

tnredhead17 New Egg

Oct 30, 2011
    Ava still is active, wants to eat, coos and clucks when she is brought near the other chickens, but cannot use that right leg. Could it be that it is dislocated at the hip? I am able to flex into the proper position, however, and it really doesn't seem to hurt her when I examine it. I still see no evidence of redness, swelling or sores. I am puzzled. The vitamins have not seemed to make any difference so far.

4. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    I was told that it could take up to 2 weeks to see any signs of improvement if it is a vitamin deficiency...

I always hate to mention this one but here goes...

Please check out the numerous threads on Marek's Disease. It is much more common than people lead you to believe. Your hen could have an injury and I'm hoping that is the case. If so, she will need to be seen by a vet to determine the type of injury. If not, and she gets worse, you may want to have her euthanized and necropsied to make sure of what you are dealing with.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  5. MariLouJane

MariLouJane Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2012
    I had a Buff orpington with similar symtoms. I brought her into the garage kennel for 3 weeks and her leg got better. It was like one leg was broken but upon inspection I couldn't find any damage. I sent her back to the coop and for awhile she was limping aro, using the lame leg cautiously. Now she is lame again and just sitting in the coop. I bring her water and food. I hate to cull her but I might have to do that. She is sitting in her feces and doesn't seem to have a way to be "normal", get up get food and poop. The other hens and roosters just walk right over her. Also I hope it isn't something contagious.
    any advice?
    this is my first year with chickens.

6. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    The best thing you can do is bring her inside or some place warm where the rest of the chickens aren't walking all over her. Try to get some vitamins and food into her even if you have to hand feed her. If she passes, have her necropsied so that you will know what you are dealing with. Most states have a facility that will do them for free or for a small fee.

7. MariLouJane

MariLouJane Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2012
    thanks
    back to the garage kennel it is.................
    she's a nice bird. hope she gets better!!!

8. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    Good luck, I hope she gets better, also!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by