Lame silkie

Tammys kevin

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 25, 2012
My 5 month old silkie pullet isn't walking properly and she had a pasty butt, she can move each leg and wing but when she tries to walk she goes wobbly and falls over, she ate a little food but doesn't seem interested in it. I cleaned up her vent and it doesn't look blocked, what could be wrong?

She's walking mostly on her hocks, and when she sits her legs are stretched out in front, her feet are near her head

I gave her some crumbled egg yolks and honey with weetbix, and she scoffed it down, she's trying really hard to stand up and walk

Can you post a picture of her? I think that might help. You can try giving some vitamins incase she has a defiency. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? This could be signs of mareks .mareks is a highly contagious air borne disease and it is virtually every where. What happens is the virus makes tumors in the body and those tumors press on nerves causing limping or paralysis and the inability to walk. Other things can cause these symptoms too but mareks is usually characterized by out stretched legs . It can present itself differently in different birds. Weight loss and wasteing is also accociated. It can affect the legs wings eyes each case can be different. Please post a pic of her and it can help with diagnosis. Of course the only real way to confirm mareks is through testing. If she does have mareks and other birds are exposed to her it does not necessarily mean they will get sick with symptoms. But it does mean they are carriers meaning they can infect other birds that are exposed to them. even without having symotoms them selves.mareks can travel for miles in the wind and live on the land for years. I suggest you do some research on mareks and see if you think her symptoms are similar. Many folks here on this forum have mareksin their flock and have done extensive research and are very knowledgeable about the virus. If it is mareks they can help you move foward in a positive direction. Im not saying she does have mareks but I'm saying her symptoms sound similar. Can you post a picture of her showing her legs? That would be very helpful. In the mean time try her on some vitamins because a defiency could also possibly cause these symptoms. Do look up mareks disease and see if you feel this could be the issue. I really hope this helps and wish you the best. do post a picture of her it could be very helpful in seeing what is wrong.im not saying she definitely has mareks as ive not seen her.i am saying her symptoms sound similar to mareks.posting her pic would be a big help. I really hope this is helpful and wish you the best.

I don't think she's been vaccinated, but she can move both legs and wings, they don't really look paralysed, though I've never seen it before so I could be wrong. When she starts walking, she almost walks normally, just a bit slow and wobbly, it's when she stops that she falls backward onto her hocks and has trouble getting up

I agree with the above to research mareks disease also have a look at a good child's vitamin containing b2 but no iron. A lack of this vitamin affects the nerves of the wings and legs. Typical signs are reduced growth rate: legs are stretched out, curling-in of toes, drooping head, wings and tail feathers. Birds are still alert. The oncoming paralysis can lead to death as a result of starvation. In early cases giving vitamin B2 in water leads to a rapid recovery.

Keep us posted, and very best wishes.
She is super cute.

She's the loveliest little hen. we lost her buddy, a silver silkie, and a young araucana a week ago, I assumed it was the cold as it happened suddenly overnight. I'm giving her St. John's wort in her water, as it was suggested as a possible "cure" for mareks, although the claim has nothing to back it up, and I'm feeding her b vitamin rich foods until I can get a supplement

Im so so very very sorry. It does look like Mareks to me. You can have her tested to confirm. I would still try the vitamins just to make sure and certain its not a vitamin defiency. A really great thread for you to read and ask for help would be on this forum and its titled Not a emergency Mareks in the flock. All those folks are going through Mareks in their flocks right now as well and some of those folks have done extensive research on mareks and the information they can provide you would be very valuable. They can help you move foward in a positive direction and learn how to manage this disease. As I understand it the mareks can stay on the land for years and these folks are doing things like breeding for resistance and they have learned many positive things that can help with this disease. There is no cure as far as I know but these folks know of many things that can be helpful. I would go to that title and ask questions and I'm certain you will get the help and support you need. Unfortunately we can't be certain its mareks without testing but it very much looks like mareks to me.mareks can present itself in many different ways as you will learn. It can show up as a limp or it can completely paralyze the bird. Sometimes its silent showing up as sudden death. It can be as subbtle as a droopy wing or inability to walk. It can appear in the eyes as a mis shapen pupil or a grey eye. Mareks can be very tricky. It can show as curled feet or no symptoms at all but the bird looses weight although it continues to eat. This is called wasting. I highly recommend going to that thread and talking to some folks about it. they will be a great help. Also do try the vitamin regiment incase this is a defiency that's causing this. It sure won't hurt to try.i really hope this post was helpful to you and I wish you the very best. If it is mareks like it looks like it is these people can help you cope and teach you how to move foward .many many people are going through this same disease. Sadly we are ALL at risk for mareks because it is every where. I would talk to those folks going through this and I'm sure they can help. Good luck to you . Again I'm very sorry about your bird. I hope this helps some.

She's much worse today, she can hold up her head a little but the rest of her is limp :( she won't eat or drink

Back
Top Bottom