1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lameness caused by scaly leg mite

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickenlover88, May 10, 2007.

1. Chickenlover88

Chickenlover88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, Georgia
    My little blue oegb is a rescue. She has severe scaly leg mite and has lost the use of a leg. The leg is swollen at her knee joint and does not straighten out. She does however get along very well on her good leg. What can I do for her? Here are some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
  3. Critter Crazy

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Hey!! I just realized I know you!! He he he he he! Hi Lindsey! Its magiie from PT!!! Glad to see a familair Face, this site is great, and there are tons of very awsome and Knowledgeable chicken people here! Welcome to the Forum![​IMG][​IMG]

4. Chickenlover88

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, Georgia
    lol thats funny. I actually was an active member on here for a while but stopped coming for about 1 1/2 years. I just came back when I got a chicken again. I really missed having my chickens.

5. Critter Crazy

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Very cool! I love Peggy, she is just so cute!! Hope you can get the leg Mites under control.

6. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    Well, if your chicken has scaly leg mites, then I'm not sure that's why mine has had. My Tootsie had callouses that resembled over grown scales on her legs. It seemed to be painful for her. I haven't been able to find pics that looked even remotely similiar to what I was seeing here.

Anyway, I coated Tootsie's legs well with Vaseline (mostly because that's what I had) and it has made a HUGE difference for her. Most of the callouses are gone, she doesn't hide out in the hen house so much now, she comes out to eat with the others, and she's walking normally on the leg she barely beared weight on a week ago.

I have Camphophenique now and I'll use it next time. It can't hurt to try either of these remedies on your bird, and if it helps her, it'll be well worth it.

Good luck to both of you!

7. Chickenlover88

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, Georgia
    I went and got some Camphophenique today. I applied it to her legs a little while ago. I hope it works.

8. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    Be sure to let us know how it goes for you, will you? And, good luck, btw.

9. Chickenlover88

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, Georgia
    Her legs are starting to heal nicely but she has no muscle in her bad leg from being off of it for so long. Is there anything I can do to strengthen it.

10. Critter Crazy

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    hmmm....I have no Idea?? I wonder if there is any way to do Chicken Phisical Therapy??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by