Laminaire Cabinet Incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jason Y, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Jason Y

Jason Y Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2010
    Poulsbo
    Good afternoon,
    In my desperate search for an cabinet type incubator I have come across a pair of Laminaire cabinet incubators. They are designed for Emu eggs, with multiple rollers to turn the eggs.

Since I am currently buried in Turkey eggs, with a full cabinet model. I purchased them, thinking
    the internet will surely have plenty of information on these.

I have searched and NADA zero zilch zip in the results. So I reach out to this forum in hope that there will be someone that can point me in the right direction.

Thank You
    JY
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    those are lab incubators not really meant to hatch with more for growing virus's and other nasties in eggs....but that said they will hatch if you can set them up correctly

3. Jason Y

Nov 2, 2010
    Poulsbo
    You sure, it says Laminaire incubator hatcher on the front. I am pretty sure they were designed to hatch Emu eggs. The guy I got them from used to raise Emu's here locally, and since these have a pretty elaborate roller system, I suspect there must be others out there.

I will pull the trays out tomorrow and take some pictures or the roller/turner set up.

I believe these were purchased in the late 90's, googling the manufacture pulls up a company in Columbia.

4. psittacinekane

psittacinekane Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2009
    I suspect the above poster is correct regarding the original use for the incubator in your pic. Check the 'net for "ADS Laminaire", because I think this was probably a custom product for a laboratory in the past. As such, you might not have much luck finding an on-line user's guide for it. Snazzy piece of equipment though.

You could start here: http://www.harlowscientific.com/node/51 Harlow has recently partnered with ADS Laminaire. These are the types of laboratory custom jobs they'd specialize in. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  5. Jason Y

Nov 2, 2010
    Poulsbo
    Ok- perhaps you are both correct. However my intuition tells me that these were made as Emu egg incubators, by a company that also makes lab equipment. (The guy I bought them from stated he was a distributor at one point late 90's)

Thanks for the link- I have called them, sent a picture of the machine to see about some kind of manual. I was "lucky" in that when I bought them, they were still installed in a incubating room so that takes some of the guess work out of what some of the fittings are for. My main concern is plugging it in and burning something up because there is some kind of start up procedure to follow.

Yes- I bought them with out testing them, two of these and a GQF hatcher plus all the other supplies.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  6. Jason Y

Nov 2, 2010
    Poulsbo
    Here are a couple more pictures[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last picture shows how the turning mech is powered and works​

7. Jason Y

Nov 2, 2010
    Poulsbo
    In an effort to locate anyone with knowledge of these, here are some more pictures. As you can see the racks are made for much larger eggs. I have taken steps to make them work with Turkey eggs. I took a piece of 3/8 aluminum rod, covered by a piece or Sharkbite pipe to divide the racks so Turkey eggs will work. The first attempt was a failure (kind of). If I have measured thought about it before drilling, I believe 1/4 inch higher would have allowed me to put eggs directly across from each other. Good news is I have many more trays to practice with. Hopefully I will get it right before the next tray.

I pulled the front panel off as well, so you can see the thermostat, and wiring.

I called the company that was provided in the above link, emailed them a picture. Called Laminaire in New Jersey as well talked to a rep that has been with the company for 25 years. His response after seeing the picture was "NO, we never made anything like that"

The only lead I currently have is a company called GOSUN Inc, in Colby KS. There is one receipt for micro switches with some other spare parts. The number is disconnected.

On a good note, I plugged it in as cranked it up temp comes up pretty fast. The turner is supposed to turn am Emu egg one complete revolution in 24 hours it is adjustable. Time will tell if this was a good investment.

More pictures[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Jason Y

Nov 2, 2010
    Poulsbo
    [​IMG]

Do you still think this was a lab incubator converted to an egg incubator??[​IMG]

9. Jason Y

Nov 2, 2010
    Poulsbo
    Still plugging along with these, currently have 70 Turkey eggs going. Plan on putting 30 more in tomorrow, first batch will go into the hatcher on May 2. Still hoping someone will see these pictures and come up with a manual.
    JY

10. Jason Y

Nov 2, 2010
    Poulsbo
    Still looking for info as well as trying to get to 25 posts as I have a bunch of stuff to sell. The incubator works with the Turkey eggs, 60% success on the first batch. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by