lamp for homemade incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by quailwanted, May 15, 2011.

1. quailwanted

quailwanted Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    shepherd
    what light should i use in my incubator. I am making homemade one that I found online on youtube it had light chicken wire sponge and a lamp. Can anyone help me out with where to get a lamp that is cheap. is there place online i can get it that takes paypal/.

2. Smith farm

Smith farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Blum, Tx
    Do a search on her I've seen people use an ordinary light bulb with a water heater thermostat for temp regulation...... Very cheap and Lowes or home depot have all the stuff to put one together

3. Smith farm

Smith farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Blum, Tx
    I believe a 60 watt light bulb is what people use

4. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Yep, just about any conventional incondessent light bulb will do.

Some are better though. Long or rough service bulbs are less likely to blow than 69 cent specials. Small heat lamp bulbs are nice if you can find them.

Two 25 watt bulbs are better than one 50 watt in terms of even heat and building some back-up into the system in case a bulb blows.

5. quailwanted

May 14, 2011
    shepherd
    The dude in the movie i watched had the same size box as mine and he used 25 watt just one. I was asking about the actual thing the bulb goes into. Then flip switch and it is on. Can you use anything or what

6. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Go to any hardware or home improvment store, get a bare bulb lamp base used in basments and unfinnished spaces, the plastic ones are about $3 the ceramic socket heavy duty ones maybe $6 but are better built.

7. Dewsetter

Dewsetter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England
    I too started making my own incubator and found that despite following the instructions from about 20 youtube videos along with research from just about every site on google, I almost set the house on fire!
    The inside of the polystyrene box I was using melted and my room was filled with noxious fumes. The bulb was the recomended distance from the sides and the lid and the wattage of the bulb was 60w.

I know it seems like a cheap option to make your own and many people appear to have no problems but the cheaper option may be to buy a cheaper purpose built incubator rather than a new house.

Sorry, don't mean to be a pessimist but I am just advising from my own experiences

best wishes

Lisa

8. quailwanted

May 14, 2011
    shepherd
    you can't use a 60 watt in a syrofoam box. That is just asking for trouble. I am going to use 25 see how it goes. Thanks though at lest I know a 60 watt is not good idea~ I have a chickbator one coming and my homemade one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by