Landlord demanding coop removed

sixxchixx

Songster
13 Years
Aug 10, 2010
Escondido, CA
hi all,
I'm hoping someone can let me know if I am on the right side of things here...
we built our chicken coop and a few other structures (a small pond and 2 gazebos) around 5-10 years ago. We had passive permission from the then owner (my husbands grandmother). We have no written lease and pay rent based on a verbal agreement. Grandma died two years ago and the new landlord (my husbands brother) has seen and complimented our yard including the structures many times since then. Yesterday he sent a written notice giving us 30 days to remove all structures including an old spa. The problem is that we have 4 chickens and a rabbit in one coop and we cannot afford to move the spa. He is being spiteful due to an argument between my husband and him and there is no backing down on either side.
I would like to send a certified letter (to make it official) stating something along the lines of, "since the structures existed prior to you inheriting ownership, and we had permission to build them, it is not our responsibility to remove them."
Basically I want to respond to the notice within the 30 days period but we will not be tearing them down. I don't want to get evicted over this. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on how to word my response? Does this even make sense?

Thanks. I've read that and it doesn't mention anything about landlord personnel changes or a landlord changing his mind about an oral agreement. And Yes the current owner/landlord is my brother in law.

Back
Top Bottom