Landlord said "YES" today!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SunAndDirt, Jan 25, 2013.

1. SunAndDirt

SunAndDirt Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! I'm Ann from eastern Connecticut. I have had chickens before, but I was young, naive and getting free chicks from the fair (read as: a flock of roosters on the family farm).
    The landlord agreed to a coop/chickens today[​IMG], which doesn't surprise me, but I went and got my hopes up BEFORE the SO called for official permission. Building begins next week or the week after. I'm currently debating breeds/proper heritage vs. "feed store", and trying to convince myself that I can max out at 5 and STAY AT FIVE. I am looking for breeders in the area and also wondering if there is a newbie thread...

So far, BYC has been a great inspiration and wealth of information! Thank you already!

2. chicks are me

chicks are me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2012
    5......that seems like an impossible goal, I started at four, but ended up with eight[​IMG]

3. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    well breed wise you need to decide what your chickens are for (meat or eggs) ((or pets)) if you want to know what type of breeds you should get look at the breed selector tool on this site (just click breeds on the top menu bar). If you have any questions just ask.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. Congrats and good luck. :thumbsup

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, SunAndDirt, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Congratulations on the "Yes!" Best of luck to you!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  7. hennotrooster

hennotrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    [​IMG]from California...You will find just about all you want to know about just about anything here. Good luck and enjoy the entertaining ride your hens will take you on.

8. SunAndDirt

SunAndDirt Chillin' With My Peeps

The low number is mainly for the benefit of the SO. I know how this will end (and he hasn't caught on yet).

The selector tool is great, I've been going through it over and over. I have a penchant for over-thinking. I am looking for a bird that will be a moderate to high layer, average to low broodiness, and flighty enough to have a head on their shoulders when it comes to predator awareness, but not so much that they see ME as a predator forever.
    I am also weighing the cost/benefit. I am hesitant to start out with excellent (pricey) heritage stock because, lets face it, chickens are chickens and predators are predators. Part of these girl's jobs are going to be turning compost and bug patrol, so it isn't ideal for them to stay in the protected run constantly.

I know I'm going to love whatever chickens I end up with because I adore chickens on the whole, but I really like the idea of owning old breeds that have been maintained through selection.

AND THEN WE WENT TO THE NORTHEASTERN POULTRY CONGRESS... I was in awe.

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!!! Glad you joined.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by