Landscape cloth?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by EweSheep, Apr 1, 2009.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I saw at the hospital grounds that they had those heavy canvas type landscape cloth. They are black in color and they do NOT look like the ones I saw at the stores that is lightweight cloths.

What are those called or to be specific, what are names of those type of cloths? where can I find them? I dont see them at Lowe's or Menards.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I personally have no idea, but why don't you call the hospital's purchasing department?

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    The lady there has NO idea LOL!

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    One example I found is Landscape fabric and it looks heavy duty to use!

Dunno if any of the home improvement centers would have those!

I hate to see the cost!

5. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:What you may have seen was Typar. It is a heavy fabric used under rock in roads and parking lots, to keep the mud from pumping up into the road base. It's much heavier than the landscape fabrics. Comes in rolls 12' wide x 300' long (I think).

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Another name sometimes used for the Typar type stuff (for roads, driveways) is "geotextile".

It is also possible you saw some of the stuff they use often at nurseries and garden centers, under the rows of potted trees and shrubs and so forth. Which is sort of like dark colored plastic-type-material 'burlap', is the best I can describe it. So you might look into that too - unfortunately I dunno its official name.

Presumably the stuff at the hospital was put down by a contractor, btw, not the hospital itself, so in the unlikely event you could shake the name of the contractor responsible out of them, you could try calling them. Probably give them a good laugh at least, 'hey Mabel you won't believe the phone call we got today', but they could tell you what they used [​IMG]

Good luck,

Pat

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Pat, thats the one! The burlap plastic type similiar to our plastic feed bags.

Went to Menards yesterday and found one expensive landscape fabric I think its Preer, 4' x 300' in a box for 50 dollars. Its expensive but dont know if it will stand up to mulch around the garden boxes, my walkways and have at least half foot shredded mulch that the city has been thrown away after all those ice storms we had two years ago. I hate to have them being punchered and we do have mulberry %$#@*&%! saplings growing around the fence line and I dont want them to start seedling themselves on the mulch walkways or the garden boxes.

I will have to contact some Tylar in garden stores which we do have several here in town and lawn/ garden contractors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by