landscape lighting as a deterrent?

jgaepi

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 25, 2011
davis, ca
I bought 2 christmas style led spot lights from Home Depot yesterday. I am wondering if using these every night continuously would work as a deterrent against things that go bump in the night? Or would the light just help the predators?

I agree as well. The only reason I keep my back light on at night is because I feel better about it. LOL.

I also figure maybe if there is a predator sneaking around my dog might see it better with the light on.

(Yes, I know this is ridiculous.)
smile.png

Apparently. it doesn't deter thieves. I had about 20 landscape lights in my back yard. Last year, someone stole them in the middle of the night. I wish I would have had a game cam lol.

I had my outside flood lights on two nights ago and heard a bump. When I looked out there were 4 young raccoons running on my railing.
ep.gif
I was giving them lights to see by.
lau.gif
Gloria Jean

I agree that lights do not help, and feel, from personal experience, that they probably hurt when it comes to racoons. As a little back ground, I grew up in the country, out in the back of beyond, and hunted a lot. My older brother 'coon hunts to this day and has raised pet coons, and coon dogs for decades, and is a retired Conservation Agent. I asked him once about the little red flashing lights that are sold as a deterrent to predators and he said that coons are so curious that anything like that would attract them more than repel them, ditto for yard lights etc.
Just my two cents

Back
Top Bottom