1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Landscapers (dogs)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gudrin, Feb 12, 2009.

1. gudrin

gudrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    Okay. I have a mini-rant I have to get off my chest. I have two dogs, Koshka and Kurva. They are litter-mate sister Siberian Huskies. I love them, don't get me wrong, but they are doing a little too much landscaping! They are outside dogs (with appropriate shelter, of course). Lately Koshka has taken to "trimming" the lilac bush and one of the larger spruce trees! [​IMG]

They aren't teething, I know that, because they're way past the age for that. They both dig as well, but that's easy enough for me to put up with. They have their own yard that they can dig in. Koshka has "trimmed" the bush once before, and it was just getting back to where it looked nice and full again. Now it's been decimated and in the middle of winter too! They get plenty of food and treats, including rawhide bones to chew on, and a special hambone at Christmas and Easter. Gah! I guess a little bit of trouble like that is worth it for the pleasure they bring. They pull my little girl around on a small sled in the winter. Well, Koshka does. Kurva is too skittish. She freaks out when she has anything behind her. And they always howl their welcomes when we come home, and they always let me know when someone is in the yard. We are supposed to look at the good stuff and not mind the not-so-good stuff, right? [​IMG]

Beth

2. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    It's hard to think about how great your dogs are when you're staring at the disaster they've created! Count to ten, or one hundred, maybe... [​IMG]
    Have you tried giving them large sticks to chew? Maybe they would leave the shrubbery alone. I notice our dog gets bored with his treats, so we vary it up (different brands, types of chewies...) Kongs that you can hide treats in worked for a while.

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    see if you can get some of those HUGE bones from the butcher at your local market. They are not really cheap, but ought to keep them occupied and entertained much more than lilac bushes.

4. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Years ago we had two dogs like that.
    We called them Search & Destroy
    Sorry, no help here. [​IMG]

5. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    they are siberians..you are getting off easy if thats all they destroy..count your blessings..my friend shows sibs,I help here some..they are way too much dog for me..

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    WE used to have landscping deer in Ky.THey came in the morning and trimmed our hedge real neatly.My DH 1st SGT came by once and said " I dont get it why do you trim the sides but not the top" DH:" Because those white tail deers wont fly"

7. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Can or do you walk them? No matter how many treats they have.. they are bored. They need a change of scenery a few times a week preferably every day. Boredom produces destructive behavior like that. They need stimulus.. especially husky's.

Good luck!

Nancy

8. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Oh, can I relate! I have Dachshunds. My yard looks like a war zone. I have tunnels, holes and craters EVERYWHERE! Our male will dig up plants and shake the dirt off them.. Our hounds go swimming in my Koi pond and they pull out tons of iris, lilies--and once I saw the 89lb. male hauling a whole 24" dia. pot full of iris out of the pond and drag it across the yard....

Our dogs have acres of play, run area.. They have other
    dogs, the grands and us to play with but NOOOOOOO they would rather catch the lizards, frogs, fish, moles, bugs--------

No advice...Just know the feeling.....Dixie

9. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Quote:You have an 89lb Dachshund??[​IMG] I'm thinking i missed something.... if not I wanna see a picture! [​IMG]

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    they are siberians..you are getting off easy if thats all they destroy..count your blessings

LOLOLOLOL

I was thinking the same thing.

A friend of mine had one that chewed up
    3 cell phones
    2 remote controls
    2 pair of prescription glasses
    a car manual
    it also ate a hole in the fence​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by