Landscaping timbers $1 a pop! Are they usually pressure treated?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wink, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Wink

Wink Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Texas
    I'd guess yes, they have been treated, but what do you think?

At my local Habitat for humanity, there are about 8 more pieces of landscaping timber a $1 each.... For that price, I thought I'd scoop 'em up and incorporate them as part of the posts for the run (building Playhouse coop type of structure). I would actually want pressure treated since it will come into contact with the ground.

So do you think it'd work just as well as a 4x4 in the corners of the run?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  2. chicken_crazy93

chicken_crazy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    Yes, they work as good or better than 4X4's. You can use them for post's, door frame's etc.... I used them for both my chicken houses.

3. tammymacieamy

tammymacieamy New Egg

Dec 5, 2010
    They tend to rot off rather quickly when used as posts, I don't know if it's different in various regions or not.

4. Wink

Aug 24, 2010
    Texas
    Quote:this is what I'm worried about.... They won't be IN ground per se, just sitting on top. I thought if they were pressure treated, they'd be just fine, just slightly smaller than a 4x4?

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I thought if they were pressure treated, they'd be just fine, just slightly smaller than a 4x4?

They aren't treated very well, and tend to warp

Spend the money to get lumber rated for "ground contact" and it will last for years​

6. camotruck

camotruck Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    NW Ohio
    I don't think they are pressure treated as much as pressure treated 4x4's. And they WILL warp like Bear Foot said. For $1 each, I would snag them for other purposes. I wound up needing some because I ended up trimming the outside of my coop and run with stone, and used the timbers to edge it. But I wouldn't use them for structural posts...

7. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    In contact with the ground the shoul be fine. They are not pressure treated, but they are simply coated. I had some used as fence posts from the previous owner. The part in ground rotted away completely in 1 year. The wood above ground was fully intact. I used some on the low side of my sloped run to reduce errosion.

8. QH Girl

QH Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Quote:We bought 100 of them on sale for fence posts around our pasture. It took them about 3-4 years to start rotting out.

9. Wink

Aug 24, 2010
    Texas
    Well, I bought the timbers, but I think I will go for the 4x4 super pressure treated for the run corners and leave the landscape timbers for..... Landscaping!

10. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Smart move. Even better if you can find old power/telephone poles that have been replaced. They will far outlast pressure treated lumber of any kind.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by