3KillerBs

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
Updated photos taken tonight. Turned 12 weeks on Saturday. I can't see anything by way of saddles or hackles. This bird freaks any time it sees a phone so a lot of photos were white blurs. Comb/wattles have gotten bigger but not huge. More experience with keener eyes is appreciated. Still cockerel or fast growing pullet?

My 2 Langshan cockerels from the Ideal Dozen were slow to feather and late to develop, but definitely had large, if not bright, combs compared to their breed-sister.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/introducing-the-ideal-dozen.1469451/

CoconutCoffee

Songster
Oct 27, 2021
Eastern NC
My 2 Langshan cockerels from the Ideal Dozen were slow to feather and late to develop, but definitely had large, if not bright, combs compared to their breed-sister.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/introducing-the-ideal-dozen.1469451/
Reading through your thread now.
This one in question is a week younger than my other two langshans (first time with the breed) but sprouted a comb faster. He (most likely) caught up in physical size but still has a bigger brighter comb in comparison. I guess i expect a single comb cockerel to have a much bigger comb by 12 weeks than this one so i keep hoping its a pullet. Im generally terrible at sexing chickens.

3KillerBs

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
Update which may not surprise many: it's a boy! The saddles and hackles finally started to come in. Same with the BLRW and ayam cemani I've posted about. This morning I heard a new funky baby crow thats either the langshan or wyandotte.

You can expect a really glorious rooster as he matures.

This is Ludwig the other day -- he's 7 months now.

1231211627_HDR.jpg

CoconutCoffee

Songster
Oct 27, 2021
Eastern NC
You can expect a really glorious rooster as he matures.

This is Ludwig the other day -- he's 7 months now.

View attachment 2948410
Beautiful boy! Yes, I'm looking forward to see how he turns out. Hes very tall and sorta walks like a dog with shoes on. He's quite timid with me though. The BLRW and cemani keep respectful distance but still curious. I'm just not looking forward to dealing with 5 hormonal cockerels. The oldest 2 are a pain right now so they're by themselves. I've noticed the pullets like being around the langshan, blrw, and cemani though so I hope that continues but they're only 17-18 weeks. The oldest are coming up on 20.

3KillerBs

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
Beautiful boy! Yes, I'm looking forward to see how he turns out. Hes very tall and sorta walks like a dog with shoes on. He's quite timid with me though. The BLRW and cemani keep respectful distance but still curious. I'm just not looking forward to dealing with 5 hormonal cockerels. The oldest 2 are a pain right now so they're by themselves. I've noticed the pullets like being around the langshan, blrw, and cemani though so I hope that continues but they're only 17-18 weeks. The oldest are coming up on 20.

Good luck with that crew!

I find the gawky looks and behavior of "teenage" roosters endearing. But then I also enjoy seeing human teenage boys passing through that stage too.

Top Bottom