Langshan questions

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by crittergarden, Feb 10, 2012.

1. crittergarden

crittergarden Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    I had used a chart to choose possible breeds that would be ok in my climate. It had a column for temperament, and one for egg color, but it had no pictures. I used Google advanced image search and came up with SO MANY different types of Langshans! My questions are:

Langshans were described in the chart as calm and docile - is this true for all the different types?
    Are all their eggs the same color?
    If not, can someone show me or point me to photos?

Thanks.
    I'm a complete rookie - probably won't have the coop built until NEXT Spring.
    Trying to do my homework!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Langshan/BRKLangshan.html

I think temperament should be pretty much the same through the different types.

By "type" are you referring to the colors (black, white, and blue) or the Croad, German, Modern German, and Australian/US Langshan?

Their eggs should be the same general color, which varies from hen to hen, as with other brown egg layers.

3. crittergarden

Jan 30, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    Well, I thought the colors were indicative of the types....
    This is why I'm starting my research now for Spring of 2013!

But if they're all roughly equal in temperament, hardiness, and egg color, then all I need to do is pick feathers. I'm hoping I fnd at least one breed that'll be healthy in our climate, produce pretty eggs, AND have feathers I can use to make jewelry from.... Amauricauna (or however you spell that) has already caught my eye!

4. crittergarden

Jan 30, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    AND...
    IF I get a rooster at all, it'll be Americauna/Auricauna (really there's a LOT of confusion about the actual name of the green footed, blue eggers). THEN maybe i'll get some olive eggers in the next generation.....

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    green legged blue/green eggers are EE's, what the hatchery's sell. Araucana are tail-less, sometimes with tuffs by their earlobes and lay blue eggs only. Americanas have tails and muffs and lay blue eggs. lol very confusing for anyone not messing with them and even than to lol. good luck in your search.

6. crittergarden

Jan 30, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    Yikes!
    So MUCH to learn!
    Thanks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by