Langshan

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Buck Creek Chickens, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    In the poultry standard this breed is suppose to lay dark brown eggs. the ones I have lay light brown almost white(tinted). I love the birds I have but would like to find those up to the standard. Dose any one know where?

2. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    It's not required for the Langshan to lay a dark colored egg. You will mostly find the Langshan to lay a lighter-brown egg.

When people see a Maran egg, that's what is I suppose, considered a dark brown egg nowadays?

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I agree Langshans are not dark brown egg layers. They are beautiful though and I would love some standard sized hens.

Henry

4. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I was just thinking since there are black marans with feathers on the feet you could do a cross with them and keep the hens with the best type and egg color. Some of the marans look like langshans already, just a thought.

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I'm not looking for a maren colored egg. But I would like a darker egg than I have. Also I'm looking for a good breeder of Langshans. Good idea about adding maren.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  6. mikarod

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Don't know any up in your area, but around here, Forrest Beauford is known for his Langshans.

7. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I went to the state fair and saw some beautiful girls and I really want some now I need to find who bred them.

Henry

8. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:I was thinking of ordering some blue Langshans from Superior farms this spring. Bill Braden has Blue Langshans if you are wanting eggs.

9. mikarod

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    herechickchick

GOOD call on the Blue Langshans from Superior....AWESOME birds...

10. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:Have you ordered from them before? I was wanting to try them. I don't do Murray or Ideal anymore. I thought they may have better quality stock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by