Langshans crossed with Cochins?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by emount, Jun 27, 2016.

1. emount

emount Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2016
    NS Canada
    I've just been keeping chickens for the last couple of years. this is my first post on these forums. If this doesn't belong here, please move it.

I got some black langshans this spring, not very good quality, but it's what I could find. I really love langshans so far, and think I would like to only raise this breed, with the plan to hatch chicks every year and just keep the best ones and eat the rest.

I'm in Canada and can't find online anyone who breeds langshans, to get good stock from (US won't ship to Canada). I was really hoping to get some blue and splash and some better blacks, because my kids would like more colors than just black chickens in the back yard.

I got a couple of splash cochins for free this year, and I was wondering if I bred them to the langshans and then bred the new ones back to the black langshans, and tried to weed out the cochin characteristics, would that be way to get the different colors and mostly langshan characteristics? I'm just trying to get what I want from what I have to work with. I understand that it would take time, but how much time? I read that a long time ago, cochins and langshans were somewhat confused and sometimes bred together, so I wondered if this is possible? Is it a really bad idea? If it didn't work out, I could always start over and eat the experiment.

Does anyone know a good source for any kind of Langshans in Canada?

Thanks

2. ShawnaMac

ShawnaMac Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2016
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Hi, I'm in Nova Scotia and new to any type of chicken except brown production lines... but there is a man in Middleton, NS that sells black langshans, he has an ad on kijiji. Performance Poultry in Ontario would be another place you could try. There's also several Canadian chicken groups on Facebook with breeder's lists that are handy.

3. emount

emount Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2016
    NS Canada
    Ok. Middleton is where I got the blacks that I have. That's very close to where I live.

I'll check out performance poultry. I'm not good at facebook, but I'll take a look. Thanks for the suggestions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by