Langshans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by IggiMom, Apr 14, 2009.

1. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I am very interested in Lanshans. I read about the Croad Lanshans in the UK Mag, Practical Poultry, and they had some pictures of Croad Lanshan eggs that were pinky dark brown, almost purple. This made me want some. I have been looking into them, but so far as I can see, there are only Black Langshans and White Langshans in this country, no Croad Lanshans. And no one has really been able to explain the difference to me, either. The people who have Langshans in the USA seem to be mostly interested in showing, not eggs, so I have not found anyone who knows of any Langshans who lay those dark pinky brown eggs. Does anyone here know of them? Or indeed, any other breed who lay an egg like that?

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I'm pretty sure that croad means feathered shanks...if im mistaken that's news to me but im pretty sure of that.

I've hatched out some langshangs (blacks) gorgeous sweet birds! the eggs were pinkish/brown but not pink like EE pink and no where near purple least the ones I hatched weren't. [​IMG]

3. Clayton Grace

Clayton Grace Cooped Up

Feb 20, 2009
    Hi
    The Croad Langshan got there name from Major F. T. Croad. He had the first Langshans imported from China into England in the year 1872.

Clayton Grace

4. Clayton Grace

Clayton Grace Cooped Up

Feb 20, 2009
    Hi
    The Langshans of America are descendents of the Croad Langshan. The Croad Langshan are not as tall as the Langshans in America. The Croad Langshan was at one time the original dark egg layer. If not for the Croad Langshan there would be no Maran, Barnevelder or Welsummer as all three of these breeds has the Croad Langshan in its origin.
    Clayton Grace

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    croad Langshans are not available here, they are a U K bird. they are a think of a modern game with a langshan body, I think feathersite has a picture of them. and the picture of the croad dosen't have feather legs, at least not like the american langshans. Here is a picture of an american langshan:

[​IMG]

6. Clayton Grace

Clayton Grace Cooped Up

Feb 20, 2009
    Quote:There is a Modern Langshan that has the Modern Game look. But the Croad Langshan looks like the half way point of the American Langshan and the Cochin. Not as feather as the Cochin and not as tall as the Langshan.
    Clayton Grace

7. Clayton Grace

Clayton Grace Cooped Up

Feb 20, 2009
    Hi
    The German Langshans are non-feathered shanks and have the Modern Game look.
    Clayton Grace

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    just looked on feathersite, your right its the german that looks like a modern game, and the croad is thinner than the american.

9. Clayton Grace

Clayton Grace Cooped Up

Feb 20, 2009
    Quote:Hi
    You have a very nice flock of Black Langshans. In a few weeks I should be getting 25 Blue Langshan chicks. I have had a very hard time getting chicks this year. I hope the Blue Langshan chicks hatch out and get to me in good shape.
    Clayton Grace

10. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Thank you, Ive got some blacks comming from superior but they are having hatching problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by