Langshans?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BFeathered, Apr 28, 2009.

1. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    I have a Langshans (maybe 2) fuzzybutt that has me puzzled. It was the biggest of the 3 that I originally got (mix of BCMarans and Langshans), but is now the smallest of them, 2 weeks later. It is definitely a Langshans (feathered outer leg/feet). Do these birds just mature much more slowly or is this baby not keeping up with the rest? She's got enormous wing feathers that seem to drag her down, and she's constantly peeping and trying to stay warm (brooder temp is good, others are quite happy). I'm not familiar enough with this breed to know what their growth rate should be. Thanks for any hints, M

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I don't know about your particular strain but mine have never acted like their wings were dragging them down.

Here are some recent photos of my 2 week old chicks:

[​IMG]

2 week olds with the 6 week old for size comparison:
    [​IMG]

I have a feeling your little one is either being bullied by others or is just lacking the ability to thrive.

3. BFeathered

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    Thanks Rodriguez (I think we share another forum/group). I have a bad feeling about this little girl. (may need to cull [​IMG] ) She's been "off" since we got her, but has lasted this long, so I was hoping maybe it was just a breed thing. (sigh)

4. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    REALLY??? I would ask which one.....LOL!

I wish I could give better news but mine have been growing like weeds since they were born. I'm amazed each time I head back for the weekend. Like little dandelions!!

5. BFeathered

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    DFW Poultry with Poulets and Adam

6. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Hmm...nope? Never heard of it???

DFW? Dallas Fort Worth?? Only Adam I know of is one of the Danke brothers?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by