Lap chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Kit, May 8, 2011.

1. Kit

Kit Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2010
    upstate SC
    My girls are 8 wks old now, and are such a hoot! I have a rule here - Nothing lives at my house unless it's a pet! Well, they seem to have gotten the word. I spent lots of time sitting with them when they were little, then started feeding them treats - now, out of 20, I have about 15 that are really friendly - the others are ninnies! I have a few that every time I come into the run, they are on my lap immediately - I put a bench in there for that purpose! Patsy the Red Star, and Charlotte the Dominique are the biggest pets - they'll sit with you all day if you let them. Plus I have to watch Patsy - she follows me to the gate and tries to go out with me. And they're friendly to everyone - as long as someone will hold them. I always thought that chickens would be entertaining, but they have far exceeded my expectations!!
    My husband and I talk about getting a little "chicken love" now - we both go and sit in the run with them - very therapeutic. He was skeptical about this chicken thing at the beginning - just indulging another one of my whims - but he has been totally won over by them- they're the most fun!!

2. hisdaughter

hisdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Lakeland
    So glad you chickens are so friendly. It really makes you feel good when they come to you, peep and just seem happy to see you. My hubby is really enjoying our ladies too!! Have a blessed evening.

3. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    I want Lap Chickens [​IMG] The best I get is snatching up my broody and petting her lavishly while I collect the eggs [​IMG]

from downstate NC

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I like them, too!

5. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    I guess ill have to put some more time into my chicks when i get them. id love lap chicks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Does this mean your husbands a pet?

7. Kit

Kit Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2010
    upstate SC
    Probably - he gets spoiled on occasion - but probably not as much as the "critters' -

8. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    Critters come first....they always welcome us no matter what.[​IMG]
    And need us !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by