Lap chickens?

Lmjc

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 11, 2012
I hear about austrolaps being very friendly and jumping onto people's lap and wanting to be petted, I have 3 RIRs I wanted to know if I can make my RIRs like that... They are 2-3 weeks old at the moment :D

You could try bribing them with treats. However, temperament varies by the individual bird.

But how red sox? By picking them up and petting them, or feeding by hand?

But how red sox? By picking them up and petting them, or feeding by hand?
How I tame them is by gently catching them, holding them under one arm, petting them with the other hand and walking around with them for a few minutes, talking gently . When I release them I turn and walk away rather than trying to pick them up right away - that shows them that you aren't really a threat. Feeding treats by hand is also always good. Soon they will come to you. Set a chair up and have some treats and toss them out a little at a time. Soon they will leap up into your lap. Don't make sudden movements - let them jump off on their own. Again, after a short time you will be able to scoop one up and it will go willingly!!

I had an RIR that would climb into my lap to get mealworms. You just have to be really patience and work on it a little every day. I got her as a pullet and she wanted nothing to do with me at first but I would still crossed legged in the yard and toss mealworms at her. Everyday I gradually tossed them closer and closer to me until eventually she would very cautiously eat out of my hand. After awhile she was climbing into my lap to get food and meeting me at the back door every morning.

Be very still and very patient and have a really good treat.

Ank you guys I like y'alls experience and I will do exactly what you guys are saying :) I hope it works, I'd love a chicken companion that follows me :D

Back
Top Bottom