Lap chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lmjc, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Lmjc

Lmjc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2012
    I hear about austrolaps being very friendly and jumping onto people's lap and wanting to be petted, I have 3 RIRs I wanted to know if I can make my RIRs like that... They are 2-3 weeks old at the moment :D

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    You could try bribing them with treats. However, temperament varies by the individual bird.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I think nearly any breed can be tamed to be a lap chicken. Time and patience. Just my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  4. Lmjc

Lmjc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2012
    But how red sox? By picking them up and petting them, or feeding by hand?

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    How I tame them is by gently catching them, holding them under one arm, petting them with the other hand and walking around with them for a few minutes, talking gently . When I release them I turn and walk away rather than trying to pick them up right away - that shows them that you aren't really a threat. Feeding treats by hand is also always good. Soon they will come to you. Set a chair up and have some treats and toss them out a little at a time. Soon they will leap up into your lap. Don't make sudden movements - let them jump off on their own. Again, after a short time you will be able to scoop one up and it will go willingly!!

6. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi and :welcome So glad you joined us!!!! :weee

7. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I had an RIR that would climb into my lap to get mealworms. You just have to be really patience and work on it a little every day. I got her as a pullet and she wanted nothing to do with me at first but I would still crossed legged in the yard and toss mealworms at her. Everyday I gradually tossed them closer and closer to me until eventually she would very cautiously eat out of my hand. After awhile she was climbing into my lap to get food and meeting me at the back door every morning.

Be very still and very patient and have a really good treat.

8. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. Lmjc

Lmjc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2012
    Ank you guys I like y'alls experience and I will do exactly what you guys are saying :) I hope it works, I'd love a chicken companion that follows me :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by