Laptop for a freshmen in college?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by coloradochick, Dec 11, 2010.

1. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    My DD will be going to college next fall and we wanted to get her a laptop for Christmas but have no clue what one would be good. So she just walked in the family room and said "Mom why don't you type to your chicken people and ask them what they recommend for a laptop". [​IMG] So......I did [​IMG]

Anyone have suggestions?

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I love my Dell Inspiron. The only caveat I have is the size for a college student. It might be bigger than she needs (and heavier if she's going to be lugging it from class to class). My FIL and BIL both bought the ACER at Wal-mart (and both are techno geeks) and they love it. It's tiny and serves all their needs.

Good luck. Have theetime of your life!

3. itsdamamma

itsdamamma Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2010
    Fred VA
    The absolute best computer I have ever had is my MACBOOK. Three years running and ZERO problems! Best money spent EVER!

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    we have the macbook laptop 2010 . works great! [​IMG]

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Macbooks are the best but they are also the most expensive. If money doesn't matter than by all means get a Mac.

As for PC laptops I have owned them ALL. The most reliable one I've ever had is the Toshiba I'm using right now and Best Buy has several models for under $500.

HP is good but comes with too much preloaded software. If you go HP than have a computer person clean it out first.

Dell has gone downhill in quality. Many people I know with Dells have had issues. It's too bad because Dell used to be great.

Stay away from Gateway, Acer, and Asus. You can get Toshiba or HP for the same money.

Good luck.

6. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Our youngest daughter is also a collegebound high school senior, and we're looking at laptop options for her. Do you know what college your daughter is hoping to attend? They will probably have requirements/recommendations for the computer she will need. A lot of schools also have special deals (often with Dell, from our experience), and students can get a computer there, along with a maintenance plan.

Most colleges require assignments to be completed in Microsoft Office format, so you'll need that, even if you choose a Mac.

Isn't this an exciting time?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  7. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Great advice guys thank you! I just looked at the MAC. PC I wish money wasn't an issue but alas........
    So which of the Toshiba's would you recommend? (as obvious, I'm am NOT a tech nerd) Thanks to those of you that are [​IMG]

8. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Oh Alison it is exciting! But it's so busy if you know what I mean. Erica accepted a softball scholarship to Adams State College in Alamosa, Co. So throughout the college visits and all the coaches emailing/calling her it's been a little nerve wracking. But we're just happy that she's going [​IMG]

9. dela1991

dela1991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    Delaware
    Two of my sons are professional students (under grad, grad school, law school). They advise go with the Mac. When they were entering college the school did offer a deal with Dell where the laptop was delivered to the dorm on move in day. We looked into it but there was no real savings so we bought the laptops a few months before school started. We all use Macintosh now. They have lasted longer for us then any PC.

No matter which brand you decide on, go with a laptop as space is limited in dorm rooms and now many schools have wifi, as do many of the places the kids hang out.....Starbucks, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by