Laptop question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Jun 19, 2010.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I am needing to purchase a new laptop. How do I measure the screen though? Is a 14" screen 14" across or diagonal corner to corner?

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    diagonal

3. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    gotcha.
    Like a TV

Why on earth do they measure screens that way and not just side to side?

(Thanks for the help!)

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Have any specific brands your looking at? we have a gateway and a hp. Love them both. We had a dell, which was a piece of crud. It would freeze because the battery would overheat. Dell had a suit filed against them, they lost and were supposed to replace what was wrong with the pc's and never did for us. Never will by a dell again.

5. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Oops! I just bought a Dell. [​IMG]

I have had a Dell for the last five years and it has been a trooper and worked like a charm. That's why I went with another one. I bought it from the Dell Overstock store. Let's hope that it all works okay! [​IMG]

6. magistradomina

magistradomina Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Where I live.
    My sisters have dell laptops. They are only ok. They've had some trouble with them. My dad has had a Dell laptop for a long time, and he thinks they are only ok.

7. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Too late now! The order has been placed. I'll just live with it now, either way. Hopefully it will be like this one and will be fabulous!

8. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I had a dell, nothing wrong with them, just not as happy as I am with my new HP. Had this computer for a year and am in love with it. My dell was 6 years old when the screen started getting green lines, then went downhill fast.

9. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The only problems we've had with Dell were things caused by the way the factory put the computer together. They are such a big company that they don't often spend the time on individual computers to make sure they are hooked up right. You should be fine though. Dell is pretty good about fixing things while the computer is under warranty. A couple of my friends have Dell laptops and love them.

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I've had 6 Dells between work and home. I wanted to try something different, so I got an HP. I ended up selling it 3 weeks later and getting another Dell.

Sometimes it depends upon usage. I don't do any gaming or downloading music/movies/TV, so the Dell works for me. Bookkeeping, maintaining the online store etc. have all been great.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by