1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

large 3" bleeding open wound; other chicken pecking HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jeanne25, Sep 17, 2011.

1. jeanne25

jeanne25 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    All 7 of our chickens were fine this morning; at least everything seemed fine. They are in a safe run and coop; nothing can get in. My husband went to check for eggs just now and saw six of the chickens pecking and scratching one of the barred rocks. The area at the end of her back, slightly to the left of her tail feathers is bloody and torn up. I can see veins. She is limping and making lots of noise. We separated her from the rest until we can figure out what to do. I'm a nurse and it looks bad. I don't know if I should try to dress it or put her out of her misery. If someone can tell me how to add a picture, I took one.
    Thanks for your help

2. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    try to dress it, and if you don't make progress in 30-60 minuets... Put her out of her misery. [​IMG] and good luck [​IMG]

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Try to treat it first, I have seen horrific wounds like this heal well. I use blood stop powder, after cleaning the wound. You can also clean it as you would a human and use antibotic cream or really anything you have.

4. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    and " New Eggs " cant post pics. If your " Post " column gets to 50, you can post. so just post Gibberish

5. jeanne25

Apr 23, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks for your input.
    We had to end her misery.
    My husband said when he first went out all 3 of the Red Stars were pecking at the Barred Rock; like cannibal behavior! It was creepy. They just kept chasing her until she stopped and squatted and they pecked away.
    After my husband, uh......, sent her to chicken heaven, I checked her for lice, mites or anything that might explain what happened. I couldn't see anything. She was big and full with bright red comb and had just started laying. We don't get it!
    I hope it was just a fluke thing, and that it doesn't happen again.
    Thanks

6. Ozchicken

Ozchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Queensland, Australia
    This is featherpecking. Chickens that are bored, too hot, too crowded, or attracted to something will peck and cannibalise other chickens. When feathers are growing through the initial quill that comes up can be fairly transparent and the blood supply inside it can look a bit red. Red is a colour that chickens are attracted to and will peck. Once they get a taste of meat or develop a bad habit they can continue.

If I were you I would think about your pen. Are there items of interest in there? Do they have enough space? I put bales of lucerne in my pens to give my birds something to jump on, peck at and play with. Think about diet. Is it a balanced ration, or could it be deficient in something? Protein level?

Also check other birds for any signs of little injuries. If you find any spots coat them with something blue like BlueKote or whatever else does the job over there.

Good luck with the others.

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Survival of the fittest. It doesn't mean anyone did anything wrong. Feather-picking, either toward self or others, is something domesticated birds just sometimes do. They might have the best chicken mansion is all the world and still pick. Most chickens deal well with domestication and confinement and others don't. Most people function normally in life and others don't. There's sane and crazy in all species. I'm glad your husband culled the bird. She might have survived with diligent treatment, but at what pain cost. Many chicken owners hold the belief that chickens don't feel pain or at least feel very little pain. Maybe it's true, but I don't buy it. My condolences.[​IMG]

**The nurse in us doesn't tolerate suffering very well huh?

8. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Get A Flock Block And Put It In Your Coop It Will Give Them Something To Pick At

9. jeanne25

Apr 23, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks for the info.
    We will look into "flock block" and "blu kote". Where do get these things?
    I did notice a very small spot of missing feathers on one of our Americauna's; at the base of her back near her tail; teeny spot, but it worries me.

10. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Tractor supply

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by