1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

large air cell = not enough humidity?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klf73, Jun 26, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have some eggs that are on day 15. They have large air cells, a few days ago I noticed my container had leaked into the bator which in turn leaked all over my chair [​IMG] The humidity read 48-54 the whole time so I didn't notice. I did notice when I put my hand in that the humidity didn't seem right (not sure I trust my sensor). I put together another bator and the eggs look good but they have a large air cell. The chicks are moving around and seem ok, but is this going to be a problem? They have 5 more days till day 21. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Krista

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    They should be fine. I dry incubate my eggs, meaning that I don't add water or worry about humidity at all until I set them for hatching.

My hatch rates using dry incubation and shipped eggs are still 75%+

Also the air cell does enlarge as they near hatch. You should see the air cell getting progressively larger over time - that's one way to determine how close eggs are to hatching.

Hope this helps! Really, all you can do either way is correct the issue and hope for the best! Good luck!!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  3. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I think you will be ok. Just put that humidity on or around 70% after day 18. My humidity avg is about 42% on day 1 through 18. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    When I set my eggs the humidity is at about 40% and I don't add any water unless it drops below 30% and on day 18 I bump it up to around 65% I got 20 out of 25 eggs my first hatch.

My only concern has been that if I were to do a batch of small eggs, I might keep the humidity a bit higher .... but, I have not done a batch of all small eggs yet...so it is yet to be determined.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by