1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Large Air Cell on Day 13 *diagram included* Update!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilDucky85, Apr 1, 2009.

1. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    The other day I noticed that one of my questionable duck eggs had a rather large air cell. The egg is a little delayed in development because it started off in the very last row of the incubator, and wasn't getting enough heat. There were two of these delayed ones but the other is perfectly fine.

It's Day 13, the baby is very active, and growing normally but yesterday I noticed its air cell was expanding even more. Now it was like half of the egg while the others seemed a normal size. It also on one side goes down the entire length of the egg. Im worried about him. I took pictures but I cant get them on here until tomorrow so I made a little diagram of what it looks like. I have a feeling this little guy isn't going to make it much longer.

Please let me know if this is on its way to dying, or if there is anything I can do to help it!

This is what it looks like....
    [​IMG]

There are a few others like this, I hope they arent on their way to looking like the one above. Is this normal?
    [​IMG]

**Update: My ducks hatched and the one with the air cell is doing just fine! It was the 5th out of 8 to hatch!**

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  2. eschwaderer

eschwaderer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Ohio
    Not an expert but I had one just like that last week. It was the first to hatch and it rules the brooder. [​IMG]

Added: All the ones with the abnormal air cells seemed to hatch first.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  3. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Wow, sounds like gas building up in the egg. What would cause that?

Has anyone noticed that when you type the word e-g-g it is showing in the site as the word rooster?

4. LilDucky85

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Sorry I forgot to add these are Duck e-g-g-s

Oh wow I totally didnt notice that!!

5. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    I have had a ton of them. I'm not sure why b/c they are in the turner from day one until day 18. They hatch, just like the "normal" air sac e*g*g*s* do...
    Good luck!

6. eschwaderer

eschwaderer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Ohio
    Were these shipped 3ggs? Other members indicated to me that this can happen more often with shipped 3ggs.

7. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Most of mine wind up looking like that, and I have phenomenal hatch rates. If it does turn out that that isn't normal, it'll be a surprise to me.

8. Crystalchic

Crystalchic Gone for a bit

May 6, 2008
    I get that a lot with shipped e g g s. Mine hatch out fine

9. LilDucky85

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Yes, they were shipped all the way from Oklahoma to Illinois. They were packaged perfectly though, only one dented out of the 18. They were only in shipping about 1.5 to 2 days. Out of 18 there were 7 infertile, 1 blood ring, and 9 living (plus the 1 that dented in shipping, and didnt make it to the bator).

Oh thank you! I was so worried about this little bugger all night! I would think it would run out of space in the e-g-g to grow if there is too much air? I read that this could be from lack of humidity but the humidity is perfect!

Ive been thinking about names for it, whether it makes it or not it will have "Air" included in its name! Any suggestions? [​IMG]

10. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I get alot of those too with shipped e g g s, mine had no problems hatching out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by