Large air cell on shipped egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MN Chicken, Mar 30, 2015.

1. MN Chicken

MN Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Minnesota
    I received hatching eggs from MPC today, and am really excited to set them tomorrow. Other than saddling on 3 out of 7 eggs, I am really pretty happy that none are detached. I received the prettiest Barred Olive Egger egg. It is speckled and so unique. Are barred olive eggers sex linked? I also received a surprise with one of the eggs being labeled EE/CCL. I don't know if that means it is an easter egger/crested cream legbar mix, or one or the other and they just didn't know. I am crossing my fingers on it being a CCL!

One egg does concern me a tad though. This egg has a really large air cell...like 14-18 day air cell size, taking up 1/3 of the egg, and I am wondering what to do about it. Will the added humidity in the incubator shrink or hold the air cell's size, or is this one just not going to do well? Has anyone run into a really large air cell before setting it and the chick hatching fine? This one egg also has a yolk that doesn't look as defined as the others, almost like it was a little scrambled. Can that happen during shipping, the yolk leaking?

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Well you can try and set it, it may be that egg is a bit older than the other eggs, good luck. and don't worry about the saddling, I had an egg like that and as the water in egg reduced it evened out, and hatched a chick.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  3. Kendrain

Kendrain Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Ritzville
    How do I check my air cell. I have six eggs set aside hopefully by Easter I will be setting some eggs.

4. Elaine Elder

Elaine Elder Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2013
    Kingston, Georgia
    A deep bowl of water.
    if the egg sinks, take it out Immediately.
    If the round end pops up to the surface, it has too much air.
    Place those eggs on a damp cloth,
    Lay a damp cloth over top for a Couple hours.
    Repeat water float test.
    This gives the egg enough moisture to create adequate room for chick to grow in.
    Watch Incubator humidity closely
    50% for 3 and half weeks.
    Last few days of incubation raise humidity to 60%. This decreases chicks getting caught with egg membrane stuck to them, sometimes trapping the chick in the egg.

1 person likes this.
  5. Elaine Elder

Elaine Elder Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2013
    Kingston, Georgia
    P.S.
    Eggs must be rotated several times a day to keep anything from sticking to side of shell.
    Also fertility begins to drop beginning on day 10 and after 14 days chances are slim an egg will hatch

6. MN Chicken

MN Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Minnesota
    Thank you so much, this is really helpful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by