Large Air Cell

CoalLucker

Chirping
Jul 18, 2016
Indiana
I'm on Day 21 of hatching under a broody hen. So far only 1 egg has hatched, out of 9. The others all seem to have a relatively large air cell and I'm not sure whether that is normal or not. Any answers will help, thank you!

Candling also hasn't yielded any solid results for me and neither has the water trick I've seen occasionally. Any other way to tell, or should I just wait?

When incubating and that has happened to me I use a clean drill bit to make a hole in the air sack side of the egg that way I can look in and see if it's dead or alive. I have saved a few that way but usually they are already gone. But as a nurse we have a saying "you can't hurt something that's already dead". No movement candeling and water test I would try. If it's moving you haven't hurt anything if it's not you haven't hurt anything.

When incubating and that has happened to me I use a clean drill bit to make a hole in the air sack side of the egg that way I can look in and see if it's dead or alive. I have saved a few that way but usually they are already gone. But as a nurse we have a saying "you can't hurt something that's already dead". No movement candeling and water test I would try. If it's moving you haven't hurt anything if it's not you haven't hurt anything.
If it's alive what have you done with the hole? Left it open or did you close it back up with something? And if you closed it, how did you do it?

I leave it open. As it is in the air cell it would be the same as a pip. Remember though I am in an incubator with high humidity. How long has it been since the 1st chick hatched?

24 hours since the last chick hatched. I would do it if they were mine. They do still have the internal membrane. I always candle before I make the hole make a very small hole look for movement. If movement I return and check in an hour for progress. You can so see the internal membrane and if it's full of blood vessels. If no movement I will make the hole a bit bigger to confirm death.

24 hours since the last chick hatched. I would do it if they were mine. They do still have the internal membrane. I always candle before I make the hole make a very small hole look for movement. If movement I return and check in an hour for progress. You can so see the internal membrane and if it's full of blood vessels. If no movement I will make the hole a bit bigger to confirm death.
Okay, thank you so much! I'll make sure to try it.

Did you put all the eggs under her at the same time or did she gather then sit ? If they were laid at different times they will hatch at different times. Sounds like they havent made the internal pip yet.

Back
Top Bottom