large and small eggs went in together today

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by granny hatchet, Jan 3, 2014.

1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i have a styrofoam incubator for a while now. i did get lucky and found an egg turner at a thrift store for 5 dollars. it has metal strips down the sides and plastic finger-like cup holders that snap in. it seems to work fine but as i have never seen one working i dont have much to go on. lol i put 16 rir/polish eggs and 25 assorted bantam eggs in today.i know the hatch will be a couple days apart from each other but i have done this before so im good with it.It seems like i am on vacation by not having to turn them so much. i am assuming i will have to take the turner out on day 16? my bantams have always hatched by day 18 and then hand turn the rirs for a couple more days?? that is if any of them are good. its been pretty cold here and i gather as soon as possible but the eggs were pretty cold when i brought them in. this is a collection of 4 days including today.

2. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Good luck with your hatch.[​IMG]

3. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    thank you !

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i must have a pretty good bator. i have read a lot of stories where people get their bator set and the next day it has spiked or dropped and the hatch may be ruined. i went outside this morn to check my doodles and when i came in i went to the bator and when i touched it i thought, OMG !! its burning up. all the eggs must be ruined. i checked the temp and it was dead on. lol it was just my hands. it is too cold here. its only 65 in the house with the furnace running almost 24/7. its gonna be a long month.

5. Chickens R Us

I hatch mine in the basement because there is a steady temp and humidity, no spikes because of the sun shining in the window and no drafts. I will be putting in a batch sometime in late April early May.

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    ahh, april and may !! cant wait. i really dont know what im thinking starting so early. lol sometimes i just cant help myself

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i candled the eggs last night and none of them look right to me. as i said i have never used a turner before and i wonder if this makes a difference on the blood vein placement?? i did open one and it had started but was just a speck really and not very many veins. no movement . looks like a blood ring on the top to me.

8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    my egg turner and my memory was my undoing. everything was perfect except for one. i didnt allow for the new height of the turner. i put my thermometer where i always did. right on the bottom of the bator. i have cooked them all.[​IMG] i think it is time for me to stop.

9. Chickens R Us

I'm sorry but don't give up take notes and try again.

1 person likes this.
  10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    well, i did it again. i bought a better thermometer with the humidity thingy on it.all things look right. big and small eggs again. keeping my fingers crossed i dont forget anything else. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by