large apparently fluid-filled bump on hen's rear

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by acr1127, Mar 9, 2013.

1. acr1127

acr1127 New Egg

Oct 26, 2010
    North Florida
    hello! one of my hen's has a large bump on her rear, south of her vent off to the side. feathers are gone and it feels like it is filled with fluid (ewwwww!) it is about the size of a golf ball. she is still laying and doesn't seem bothered by it. do i need to pop it...i don't know if i can....

2. Deerfield Acres

Deerfield Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2011
    Derby, KS area
    I wish I knew what to tell you but have never seen anything like that. All I can think is possibly Ascites, so see if you can find info on that. As far as popping it goes, I wouldn't because it would open it up to infection, in addition to whatever problem is going on, until you find some info that explains the problem and recommends that it be opened. Keeping it covered in that area is sure to be a difficulty.

3. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Can you post a picture?

4. rosegardener41

rosegardener41 New Egg

Mar 10, 2013
    I don't have the answer but am very interested because 2 days ago I noticed a large lump under the vent of our 4-week-old White Plymouth Rock chicken (I believe a female). The chick does not have all its feathers yet so the lump is not covered in feathers, neither is it "shiny-smooth". Breathing is labored and when it breathes the lump contracts and expands. The chick stands and walks awkwardly but mostly sits. The chick eats and drinks and stretches as usual. We have it isolated under a heat lamp and are giving tetracycline in its water since yesterday afternoon. I think it must be a tumor. Instances on the Internet are all about grown laying hens so this story is different. Would appreciate info.

5. bantamgirl

bantamgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    i do not know what to say about your guys chickens lumps but I've noticed a large bump on my bantam modern game hen's right breast next to her neck towards her shoulder. it appears to be filled with hard yellow stuff. i read somewhere i think that chicken puss is like cheese it is solid and yellow. could this be what it is an abscess full of puss.it doesn't appear to affect her in any way there are no feathers on it and it is not tender, any opinions would be great. thanks in advance and the best of luck with your chickens.

6. Deerfield Acres

Deerfield Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2011
    Derby, KS area
    Can you take a pic?

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

This is just a guess, but I would think that maybe your chick got some bacteria in where the yolk gets absorbed and it has septicemia now. Again, just a guess.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

This is just a guess, but I would think that maybe your chick got some bacteria in where the yolk gets absorbed and it has septicemia now. Again, just a guess.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    All of you should post pictures!

10. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    X 2!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by