1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Large Beautiful Rooster, What is he?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tarceth, Mar 8, 2012.

1. tarceth

tarceth New Egg

Mar 8, 2012
    Shelby, NC
    This is my rooster. He was a gift from a friend a year or so ago because he was getting picked on. Since I just started here at BYC, I decided this would be a good question to ask. I'm somewhat novice when it comes to recognizing different types of breeds, colors, combs, etc. Anyone know off the top what he is? Also, I still haven't named him if anyone wants to toss out ideas.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  2. AmyLM

AmyLM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Buckley washington
    how big is he? Is he bantam sized or full? he looks shorter by the pic but I dont have anything to frame him by

3. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    He looks like a faverolle to me but I really have no clue. Is it a bantam?

I like the name Fabio for him. Very handsome bird.

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I suspect that he's a mutt. The closest bird he resembles is a Gold Duckwing Old English Game bird. But his legs are the wrong color.

Pretty guy though :)

5. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    My favorite breed, a mutt.

6. tarceth

tarceth New Egg

Mar 8, 2012
    Shelby, NC
    He's a fairly large bird, here are shots of him standing next to my RIR (nearly 1 year old) and another shot of him near (a yard or two from) my basset hound (full grown), I think he stands as tall as the dog, about up to my knees, I'd guess.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yeah, Mutts are just fine for decorating my back yard :).

7. thomaschickens

thomaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    He looks a lot like my friends Faverolle, but the legs/feet are different. So my guess is he's the most GORGEOUS mutt I've seen!!! [​IMG]I only have hens/pullets, but after staring at his picture I'm seriously debating adding a roo to my flock!

8. mcleveland

mcleveland Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Northeast Georgia
    He does seem to have the feather markings/color of a Salmon Faverolle (which is very beautiful!) but I have to agree the legs color is different and Faverolles have feathered legs. He's beautiful :)

9. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    An absolutely stunning "mutt". (BTW Faverolles also have beards and 5 toes, so in my opinion, he looks nothing like one.)

10. lorabethwiggins

lorabethwiggins New Egg

Mar 7, 2012
    He looks a lot like a Salmon Faverolle except for a few things. He is probably a salmon faverolle mixed with something else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by