1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

LARGE black hens that lay rich brown eggs

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by brandoncakes, Jul 16, 2012.

1. brandoncakes

brandoncakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Kailua, HI
    Growing up, my cousins owned about 8 large black hens(they were HUGE, larger than Rhode Islands and Buff Orpingtons), and they laid a nice XLG brown egg. The egg was dark, not tinted, and had a pink hue to it. Does anyone know what breed this is? The hens looked like this:

[​IMG]

This particular hen looks like she may be a bantam, but this is the body shape they had. I don't remember the leg color, all I remember are the bright red single combs, and plump large bodies. I know the guy they got them from only ordered through Murray McMurray Hatchery. The only breeds I could come up with are Black Giants(but body shape does not match) or Black Australorps(egg color does not match).

Any ideas?
    Brandon

2. lonnyandrinda

lonnyandrinda Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    Could they possibly be black copper marans? Some BCM hens are all black, they have large erect combs, a rather large breed although not huge, they are considered dual purpose and lay very dark brown eggs (some call them chocolate brown eggs). The pink tinting is probably more due to the local genetics, I am not very good at chicken genetics but from what I hear a pink hue to the eggs is more a fluke that appears occasionally in several breeds but is not considered common.

3. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a black Orpington.

If it doesn't make sense - I blame autocorrect. Sent from my sweet iPhone 4s.

4. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

Black Cochin? Black Orpington??

5. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jersey Giant? Not all lay XL eggs, but plenty do. It's the only large, black, brown-egg-laying bird that comes to mind off hand.
    Feathersite for Jersey Giant

ETA: I don't think Murray McMurray sells BCM. According to Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart, Black Australorps only lay an average size egg, and Cochins below average.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  6. BayGoose

BayGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    PA
    My guess would be Jersey Giants.

7. brandoncakes

brandoncakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Kailua, HI
    The only breeds McMurray sells that match, are either BA or BG. They didn't have feathers on their feet. Perhaps they were Giants, but were fed a lot. They looked plump like Orpingtons/Cochins. All the photos I've seen of Giants online don't look like the hens they had. It would be so much easier if my cousins remembered what breed they were! Hahaha! Thanks everyone for your replies!

8. sdsmowen

sdsmowen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    Jersey Giant would be my best guess a good friend has them and swears by them for good very large quality eggs

9. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

Good quality Orps are fluffly like a cochin but without the feet feathering

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    orp

[​IMG][​IMG]

jg

[​IMG][​IMG]

ba