1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Large Brown Eggs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pedoodle, Jan 21, 2014.

1. pedoodle

pedoodle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2013
    Stockton, California
    I am searching to find the breeds that produce the largest brown eggs.

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hello & welcome,
    I'm not sure exactly which breeds lay the largest per the experts, however, Delaware & Welsummers lay pretty big eggs. My birds are 2 yr, old and their eggs have gotten larger over time. The Henderson chicken chart might be of use to you, good luck, Sue

3. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    I'd suggest either Rhode Island Reds or Langshans.

4. pedoodle

Sep 6, 2013
    Stockton, California
    Thank you, Sue! You inspired me to have a nice educational conversation with the manager of one local feed store.
    Thank you, as well, BGMatt! The local feed store will receive first shipment next month which will include Delaware, Rhode Island Red as well as the Buff varieties.

5. BGMatt

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    This weekend is the Pacific Poultry Breeder's Association show in Stockton, CA. You might want to check it out and meet some breeders and see what is available. Well bred fowl will serve you much better and longer than hatchery/feedstore birds.

6. pedoodle

Sep 6, 2013
    Stockton, California
    WOW! I was just about to inquire about that very show! Thanks BGMatt! Last year I happened to stop by the Fairground when the show was taking place. I had never seen so many different breeds of chickens and was totally captivated by the Buffs! I can't wait to go there this week end! My rooster would have stolen the show from what I saw last year! Unfortunately he won't participate due to his recent demise!

7. BGMatt

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    No problem. I'm envious! I had to skip out this year, it's quite a drive for me.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Red sex links have consistently been my largest egg layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by