Large bump/growth on my buff

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hatchies, Jul 5, 2016.

1. hatchies

hatchies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Tonight I noticed that one of my buff's had a large bump/growth on her right breast. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any ideas what it could be? She's still as bossy as ever and doesn't appear that she is ill (not positive if she is still laying.).

Any ideas what it is? Have you ever experienced this? How did you handle it?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She appears to have a very large crop, which is where the food and water are stored before moving on to the digestive tract. Do some research here at the top of the page for crop problems. Does the crop feel hard or puffy? Check it first thing in the morning before she eats, to see if it has bone down. Pendulous crop is a condition where the musculature of the crop has become over stretched by dating too much. Impacted crop is hard, and does not empty, usually from long grasses becoming stuck. Sour crop is usually from a fungal or bacterial infection that may have resulted from food rotting from a long term impacted crop.

3. hatchies

hatchies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Wow! I've had chickens for several years now and had no idea crop problems even existed [​IMG] I've done some research and think I've found some helpful information. So thank you!!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome. Sometimes it is difficult to tell if there really is a problem, or the crop is just really overly full. By doing a search for impacted crop at the top of this page, you will find some good threads by Two Crows and others about how they treat crop problems. TheChickenChick and others have many posts on Google as well. Hope all goes well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by