Large bump on right breast of rooster and 2 chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ownerof7cats, Oct 24, 2010.

1. ownerof7cats

ownerof7cats Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    Hello and I am new to raising chickens. I just noticed today all 3 have a large lump on their right breast. They are eating, drinking, pooping and acting ok so any clues what it could be? They were born this year. Also, my rooster stopped crowing. I try to get him to crow by crowing at him but he just stands there looking at me. The 2 hens will cluck when I cluck at them. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Sounds like their crop. It is where they store food. Usually it will fill up during the day while they eat and go down at night. It is normal.

Now the crowing- ?

Imp

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    my roosters crow only when they want to I cant make them crow. Even tried to play back a recording of one crowing. He just looked at us like we were crazy.

4. ownerof7cats

Oct 24, 2010
    I never heard of a crop. They store their food in their breast area? Wow, learned something tonight already and thank you for the replies. [​IMG]I was worried they had some kind of cancer and were really sick since it was only on one side. I will pass this information on to the person who gave them to me. They are new at the chicken/rooster thing and had no idea what was wrong.
    I was starting to think since I was the only one crowing maybe I should get up at dawn...open my bedroom window and just crow a few times. [​IMG]
    Thank you again for the help.

5. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    From what I hear you should be happy the roo has nothing to crow about!!!! Some can not get the roo to shut it up!!!!! If you with hold food at night the crop should be notisably smaller. If not you have compacted crop. In that case you ned to search RUTH! There is a search at the top I missed it. Now Iknow. You really can find anything in that! but ......reading things in the know is nice. I would not have found peanut if ihad not. Search Peanut. Very infomitive!

6. ownerof7cats

Oct 24, 2010
    The bump was gone this morning so all is well. I miss him not crowing. Was looking forward to hearing him every morning but I guess as long as he is happy that is all that counts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by