large bunny & chickens???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by magsrags, Apr 26, 2009.

1. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    I'vecome across an abondoned & very tame/ needy lop eared bunny needing rescue. Can Bunnie/chickens posibly be housed together successfully??
    anyone out there wikth experience housing the 2 together??

2. username taken

username taken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    I would be concerned about the bun eating chook food ...

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    i wouldn't do it... I know for a fact rabbits will sometimes eat chickens because i've seen them try personally. not all will i don't guess since i've heard of people housing them together... and i've also heard of rabbits chewing chickens legs off.

4. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Well those reasons were enough for me NOT to do it.LOL Rabbit eating chicken would NOT be fun to see. [​IMG]

5. chinbunny1

chinbunny1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    I have never heard of a rabbi eating a chicken, but I do know from raising them that they will kick and bite at things that get in their space, or they don't understand. plus chicken feed isn't good for them. Best to give the bunny its own cage.

6. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    I have one guy, a mini Rex, that has two 4-month-old Serama roommates. He was suppose to be someones breeder but then came home and the chicks had moved in already, so he had to go in there with them.
    They get along and he never tries to eat them or chase them. They all sleep together and its really cute, but he does every once in a while try to nibble the pullet's tail feathers while they are laying together in the evenings. Only hers for some reason... he just nibbles a sec and she makes a disgruntled noise and she stops.
    They are in a huge hutch with plenty of room, and the Seramas are very small. The rabbit does eat a little (of what he can reach) of the grower crumbles, but even the little rabbit pellets are too big for the Serama.
    Id say that this is a rare arrangement, I was only going to do it for a night, but the birds came off the roost to sleep with him, it was too cute and he is VERY tolerant and tame by nature.

I have two other rabbits I let exercise in the barn and run some evenings and they chase the chickens and hop around and chew on everything. I wouldn't let them stay in there.....

7. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    When we tried to put a male rabbit in with a chicken, the rabbit kept trying to hump the hen. It was very traumatic for her! Anyway, it was a short-lived attempt. Maybe a doe would have better manners!

8. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    This seems to come up once a week or so, and my answer is always the same: A resounding no!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by